When to treat a rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kboze

My rat has been showing respiratory symptoms for a while now. I have antibiotics on hand but haven’t started treating him yet because I know myco flair ups are normal and his symptoms are mild. How do I know when his symptoms are severe enough to be treated?

If he's eating and drinking those are both signs that he is in good shape but this kind of stuff can turn fast. A few years ago I had a rat die of myco within 48 hours of first symptoms so definitely check frequently. Any kind of trouble breathing or lots of mycoplasm is a bad sign. Also lookout for major changes in grooming. Rats really like to be clean, so if your rat has a major change in cleanliness (I don't just mean a little extra orange tint because of the stress from being sick. I mean not cleaning the mycoplasm). Age is also a big thing.

If I have an older rat dealing with respiratory issues and I'm afraid to give antibiotics because of an already weakened immune system I will sometimes give a piece of very dark chocolate the size of a grain of rice. I would never do this in a younger rat, in those cases its usually much safer to trust they are strong enough to handle the antibiotics. Also be aware that chocolate may be toxic to rats so use with caution.

Ok good to know! I’m sorry to hear about your rat, something similar happened to one of mine that’s why I want to pay close attention. My rat is young and sneezes quite often but not myco build up or labored breathing at this point. He is also eating and seems to have good energy.

Ok good to know! I’m sorry to hear about your rat, something similar happened to one of mine that’s why I want to pay close attention. My rat is young and sneezes quite often but not myco build up or labored breathing at this point. He is also eating and seems to have good energy.
Okay so since your rattie is young antibiotics would probably be just fine. Its also fine to wait in my opinion as long as you watch out for any kind of labored breathing and check in as often as you can (every few hours is ideal). I wouldn't recommend the chocolate trick in his case as it is toxic and really for older rats only.

One note of warning: young rats are often harder to gauge how sick they are. They like to hide being sick and often if their immune system is compromised enough to where they are showing signs up being sick they can actually have two infections at once lowering their immune system (like an ear infection and myco, or infected wound and myco etc). Watch the eating especially, as young rats like to hide how sick they are sometimes. I have seen lots of cases where a young rat has lots of mycoplasm but cleans it so obsessively they look like they have none. They can't hide their labored breathing, lung sounds or lack of appetite though. Young rats are pretty hardy so he will probably be just fine. Just be vigilant.

Back