When to start bonding

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

genie.kim8

I got my first two male rats today and I am very excited!
One of them already takes treats from my hand and has explored the whole cage, while the other has been hiding pretty much all of the time, popping out for some food or a drink. I have had them for around six hours now.
I’ve read that I should leave them alone for few days and avoid taking them out of their cage. What do you think is the best time to start bonding with them. I want to start as quickly as I can but I want to do what’s best for them.
How long do they usually need before we can have their first play time and start the trust training?

When I have rescues, I usually give them 48 hours to get used to the cage before giving them free run time, but you can start bonding right away.

Offering treats, gently stroking them or offering your hand is good. Sounds like you're already doing that!

I always socialized my rats to me the very moment they are with me. I just sit by the cage and talk softly to them, let them get accustomed to my scent. If the are adventurist, I'll put my hand in the cage and play with them. Babies are usually quick to play.

Back