When To Neuter ?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krystal

I have 2 male rats going on 4 months in July. They usually play fight, but today it seemed to be more?! Opie became a big furball and started fighting Jax. Some fur even flew. Jax was squeaking high pitch and trying to run away. It doesn't look like he was injured though. They were on the coach at the time for there regular out time. Opie ended up biting my finger. I'm pretty sure he didn't set out to do that. I guess I was in the way.

Opie went back to his cage and Jax went into hiding on my end table. Anytime he tried to get near the top cage door to get back in Opie would puff up again and not let him by. Jax ended up getting back in the bottom door.Right now they are both on different levels. (actually while typing this Opie has went down and they are sitting beside each other grooming their selves. )

when do most people need to get male rats neutered?

On to the bite. I cleaned my finger up and it is now swollen and tender, but not bleeding anymore. Is there anything else I should do?

DSC_2498.jpg

And a pic from another fight with lots of squeaking (Opie the big furball) They went on to cuddling afterwards

DSC_2436.jpg

Last edited:
Take some ibuprofen to try and take down the swelling from that bite. Hopefully it isn't too terrible

As for the neuter, it sounds like he may be needing one soon, but I will let others weigh in on that. I always neuter my boys, so I haven't dealt a lot with male hormonal aggression.

Our rule is, and we only have boys, you cannot behave you lose the gonads! If your boy was mine, I'd be on the phone scheduling his chop chop. He meant to bite you - especially if he was a fur ball of hormones! You need to watch for infection mostly cellulitis - had that once. :ambulance: Until he gets neutered don't put your fingers near him when he's agitated, etc or hes likely to do it again. Make sure you look really good through your other boy's fur as I have missed injuries the first time I've looked after the "fur has flown" Until you get him a neuter you can try a time out cage - place your troubled boy into a travel cage with nothing in it for 10 minutes every time he miss behaves, but be careful if your going after a fur ball. You may consider keeping an oven mitt with you to seperate fights that way if he does get you its not as bad. Good luck - you will see a neuter will change your boy completely and restore harmony.

My finger is looking better and not so swollen now. The bite wasn't that bad it looks like only one set of teeth got me. For the rest of the day Opie has been fine. Back to cuddling Jax and he let me pet him and he gave kisses. Crazy boy. He is normally so friendly besides the play fighting with his brother. He has never been aggressive towards myself, husband or sons. I will be looking into getting him a neuter though. I dont want this situation becoming the norm for him.

My finger is looking better and not so swollen now. The bite wasn't that bad it looks like only one set of teeth got me. For the rest of the day Opie has been fine. Back to cuddling Jax and he let me pet him and he gave kisses. Crazy boy. He is normally so friendly besides the play fighting with his brother. He has never been aggressive towards myself, husband or sons. I will be looking into getting him a neuter though. I dont want this situation becoming the norm for him.

Unfortunately even the sweetest of boys cannot control the hormones when puberty arrives.

The fact that he is puffy usually means he needs a neuter. Most boys dont puff up for play time. When their guard hairs are up, watch him, he is testy. Hormones kick in around 4 months old so this is the age you will see them at. He will be happier man-rat with a neuter.

I'd like to mention that your cage appears much too small for two males coming into maturity. Even with a neuter, they need lots of room.

I am planning on getting them a larger cage. I would love to eventually get them a CN. For now the cage I currently have I've seen recommended for 3-4 rats. I give them time out of the cage to run around daily also. They seem okay with it for now.

I'd like to mention that your cage appears much too small for two males coming into maturity. Even with a neuter, they need lots of room.

I thought that to but I think it is like the cage I had for the babies the petco special..I keep usually 2 to 3 rats in there at a time. I know those shelves anywhere.....I despise those things!..... but they will need more room the more the happier they will be.

Back