When do rats popcorn?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raticate

Is this something they do when they are happy/excited only? Do they ever popcorn out of fear of aggression?

I really don't think my boys are doing it out of aggression but I want to make sure. I open the cage door and they climb on it to come near my face. I go to pet them and they hop away and then run all over the cage and hop around a lot, then run back to me, climb on my shoulder, but the second I get my hands near them again they take off running and hopping then come back, rinse lather repeat. Are they having fun with me or are they scared?

They never really enjoy being picked up or held, they try to escape. But they will climb on me all day if it's their choice.

Rats only popcorn when they are happy happy happy :) They are playing with you :D Now is when you gently reach towards them, over their head, grasp their body/shoulders give them a gentle shake and say "wheee!" in a high happy voice...at first they may seem confused but if they start bouncing up or back or even better towards you, then you are on your way...you are initiating a play session :) They will bounce, run away, and come back for more play :D If they don't want you to shake them, try a tickle on their back and see if that works :) They sound like happy lovely babies :D Not scared of you if they will climb on you like a jungle gym, just active and wanting to run not be held or even restrained :laugh4:

Sorry for the double post? Apparently that happens on my phone. If someone could delete the duplicate that'd be fantastic.

Otherwise that's good to hear. I thought they didn't like me.

RatLovingLady said:
Sorry for the double post? Apparently that happens on my phone. If someone could delete the duplicate that'd be fantastic.

Otherwise that's good to hear. I thought they didn't like me.

Nope they are just silly babies :mrgreen:

Thank you so much for the reply. Made my day. I've had the boys for 4 weeks and as I said they don't like being held and are only "cuddly" in the hood of my sweatshirt. I was expecting more hand friendly rats I guess, but as long as they are happy I can deal.

RatLovingLady said:
Thank you so much for the reply. Made my day. I've had the boys for 4 weeks and as I said they don't like being held and are only "cuddly" in the hood of my sweatshirt. I was expecting more hand friendly rats I guess, but as long as they are happy I can deal.

They are young aren't they? 2-3 months old?

I really have no clue. I bought them from a clueless pet store (Never again! Rescue only from now on) but they had just received them the day before I picked them up. I'm not sure how old rats are before the breeders send them to stores, I'm sure it varies but they are under a year I'm sure.

RatLovingLady said:
I really have no clue. I bought them from a clueless pet store (Never again! Rescue only from now on) but they had just received them the day before I picked them up. I'm not sure how old rats are before the breeders send them to stores, I'm sure it varies but they are under a year I'm sure.

Do you have pics of them on the forum?

Nothing makes me laugh or be happy then seeing rats popcorn. My sister's girl Gemma still popcorns like a yougun and she's 34 months old.

They are cute when they do it (and everything else too) I have just been using my playful "mommy" voice with them when they popcorn saying "oh my the babies are freaking out, aren't they? You're so precious"

But yes, I wasn't sure if it was a happy freak out. So glad it is. ^_^

Awww they are babies!! 8-9 weeks old *maybe*? Petstores usually sell them anywhere from 4-6 weeks of age but the younger they are the cuter (more saleable) they look, unfortunately babies should stay with their mom until 5 weeks of age and a lot of them don't get to :(

Baby boys are like baby girls...crazy active, do't want to be held, want to RUN, want to explore...will only visit and hang out briefly right now, but in several months this will change and they will slow down and become more cuddly. Now is when you want to give them a wheel and hopefully they will use it for most of their life. You will likely need a bigger cage soon as well as boys grow faster than girls as well.

Back