What's wrong with my baby

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzys mommy

My girls name is Izzy. She is almost 2. She's been a healthy active rat all her life. Suddenly she has become extremely I'll. Almost over night. First I started noticing her losing a little bit of weight. And within a couple of days the weight loss is dramatic. She can't/won't eat or drink. Lethargic. Lifeless. She does want to and tries to eat and drink but gives up after first try. I've been giving her Pedialyte in a dropper so that she doesn't get dehydrated. I've noticed that she has what looks like seizures, I think. I'm really not sure. Then it's like she stiffens up after a few of these body jerk movements. There's no vets here that have rat knowledge and unable to help. This place is my only hope. Another thing is she became very depressed after her cage mate died a couple of months ago. Hasn't really been herself since then. Please help. I've attached a video of one of her "episodes". Had to trim video a lot for being too large to upload but you can see the body movements I'm referring to.

Thanks kindly in advance for any help or advice.

Ohhh I wonder if she has a pituitary tumor? Are her front legs always stiff in front of her? Have a look at www.ratguide.com and look at pituitary tumors. Does she fit the characteristics? You can also message lilspaz, and ask her for advice. She may be able to further help you. I'm so sorry!

I do notice that after her episode she'll fall over on her back and her front legs are straight out in front of her. Doesn't last long.

No I didn't yet, as It was rather late by the time I got home from work. I will first thing or maybe go ahead and message tonight for a reply in the morning. Thank you so much. I have been looking at videos of other rattiest with pituitary tumors and it seems as tho every sign and symptom is exactly the same. :(

Is or was she bruxxing more than usual, having trouble grasping light food items in her front paws, forgetting about food, looking confused and full? It looks like more advanced PT but it's only a 16 second video unfortunately.
Pituitary tumour is ultimately fatal but there are things you can try to give you as long as possible that might help with the symptoms. First is steroids (NOT meloxicam) and if she responds to steroids you can ask your vet for a prescription of bromocriptine (2.5 mg tablets). Bromo only.works on the most common type of rat PT called a prolactinoma. But if it works you can get some pretty spectacular reversal of symptoms.

Yea the video was too large so I had to cut it back twice until it loaded unfortunately. I just can't believe that I didn't see the early signs. They were very vague though. It was just suddenly she was this. I wonder if she's in any pain. Or if she should put down. I can't bear to have her living in hell. Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to look into it if she isn't too far far into into the last stages of this. Thank you again so much.

the steroids can show a rapid improvement so give them a few days if you can get them :)
My best success was Malcolm, a 26 month old boy who went to almost immobile, he got dexamethasone then the next day went onto bromocriptine. He was the only one who became truly symptom free and made it another 6 months. Within 2 days he was moving, alert, able to eat on his own (soft food initially) etc

Wow. I hope Izzy can recover enough to enjoy her last moments with me and not like this. She tries so hard. I am so broken hearted seeing her this way. Thank you guys so much for your help.

Hi. I just wanted to give an update on Izzy. She's about to get her 3rd day of meds this morning. After just 2 days she has went from lifeless, not moving at all. Just laying on her side 24/7. Having porphyrin in eyes daily, not eating or drinking unless force fed, extremely underweight, seizures, all the classic later stages of PT ...to now ..she is lively, wants to go here, there, and everywhere fast. No porphyrin at all when I woke her to feed her this morning, already gaining weight, no seizure as of yet this morning. So much better. I'm so happy and I know she is too. Hopefully she will have a few weeks or maybe more with me. I went with my gut and decided to go natural on meds. 3 times a day she got vitamin B complex with B-12 sublingual one time only in the mornings instead of cabergoline or Brom. to lower prolactin levels. Also reducing the swelling to replace steroids. Activia vanilla yogurt instead of an antibiotic script. And rat blocks mushed up with water and baby food (peas) for her urgent care meal. And watermelon and banana just cuz ...if she was still hungry. And children's Motrin to help with any pain she may be having. I'm so glad I decided to go the natural route. She seems quite happy too. Thank you guys for helping me with finding out she has PT. You can never be too sure. Blessed!!

Back