What's a Good Cage for Two Male Rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousCurse

Since I got rats, a lot of my friends have fallen in love with rats (which is great in my opinion). I usually hear the "Aww, I want a rat too" sort of deal and I've educated them on how rats need to be in same-sex pairs, they need lots of space to run, lots of time with you and for free time, etc. I want them to start off great and for them not to get too-small of cages for rats, especially since they'll need to get at least two.

I'm sort of throwing this question out here because I never started with just two rats. I got three from a breeder in 2016 and I got a super big cage right away. What do you think would be an appropriately-sized rat cage for two adult male rats? I see a lot of people use Petco's You & Me Rat Manor cage, but I've seen people on this forum say that's a small cage for them. I saw a local rattery endorse this type of cage for two adult males as well. Ideally, if I were to use the Rat Manor cage, I think it's just barely big enough for two male rats and there is also the issue that the levels would need to be covered in fleece or something so no toes or feet fall through/get stuck.

Any advice? I know a single-level Critter Nation will get recommended (or even a Ferret Nation).

Back