What to feed my rat friends?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oibeerpunk

A friend of mine and her boyfriend recently got two male rats (i think there aged between 10 weeks and a few months) but rarely gives them much attention other than their basic needs.

Anyway i felt sorry for the poor things, so have invited her round with her rats so they can have some time out the cage and get some attention.

just wondering what i can feed them? like snack things?

also whilst i'm asking, we regularly feed some wild rats who live near our garden, and just wanted to know if there was any kinds of food which are unsafe for wild rats? just to be on the safe side!

:ratwave:

If they're not used to fruits and veggies make sure to give them small doses so as not to upset their digestive systems. I'm guessing bits of apple, grapes, carrots, and so on would be welcome.

Edit: Wild rats are pretty smart and won't likely eat anything that's harmful to them in your garden. That being said, I have no idea what you could plant that would hurt them.

Bit of banana, cereal without sugar added (mine like original with bran spoon sized shredded wheat), cooked oatmeal with soy milk, baby cereal with soy milk.

See forbidden foods list at http://www.petratscanada.com

I wouldn't feed the ratties anything that you wouldn't eat.
Also watch out for foods with added sugar or salt.

We give ours oats and a few other non-sugary cereal, and have another bowl with a mixture of steamed rice with peas, mixed vegetables, and corn. They get egg if we have any around.
And of course distilled water because fluoride and some other water-additives are unhealthy for them. Not so much with sweets like banana or yougurt drops, which are only for treats.

Back