What to feed mum and babies?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bati

I've already learned important stuff here, so maybe you can teach me new about mum/baby-feeding. I give mum kitten-milk-replacement and then everything she'll have that is high on protein and fat. Anything I should avoid? or give plenty of?

Giving her her usual rat food is ok, as long as you supplement with high protein foods, not necessarily high fat foods. Eggs, tuna, chicken.
I think it's important not to stop her "usual foods". You don't want her digestive system to get cramped up with too many new foods.

But I'm sure the other breeders on this board will have way better advice than mine.

jorats said:
Giving her her usual rat food is ok, as long as you supplement with high protein foods, not necessarily high fat foods. Eggs, tuna, chicken.
I think it's important not to stop her "usual foods". You don't want her digestive system to get cramped up with too many new foods.

But I'm sure the other breeders on this board will have way better advice than mine.

I used to offer baby cereal, mixed with strawberry Boost or Ensure for added nutrients, lots of veggies, some proteins, along with her regular food.

High quality kitten food (dry), soy milk, yogurt, cooked chicken, little bits of fish, meaty baby foods, and obviously free feeding her her "usual" diet as well will assure you that mom/babies will be well-fed.

Back