What to do with a bully rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix.madley

My friend Caius a 40-week-year-old rat. Had his friend die Artan around 2 months ago. And became depressed. They both lived happily in a massive Savic Royale cage. The one with two tiers. The bottom can be separated from the top cage veer a ladder. When Artan died Caius was alone for 3 weeks as i searched for a partner. Which finally came in the form of Remy rat. A cute little boy Approx 12 weeks old when getting him and now around 20 weeks. I put Remy on the bottom in the Savic Royal cage, And Caius in the top. Obviously, they couldn't get to each other, but just all but smell each other. As the ladder comes up and is securely zip-tied. Over the course of 2 weeks, i put Caius in the bottom and Remy in the top so they could smell each other's beds and territories. After the slow introductions. Things seemed fine, with Caius trying to assert hos Dominance. Remy has been a bit of a wimp. Running from Caius, but no blood, not bites, just squeaking. Well the honeymoon ended. They don't seem to like each other or hate each other.

Caius seems to just chase Remy away anytime Remy goes near him. And Remy just runs and hides in a coconut or one of the hammocks. If Caius is at the food bowl and Remy is there, Caius will charge at him and just chase him away. They are not always at the food bowl or water together, and Caius does nothing if Remy is there alone. Thing is that Remy seems scared to explore the bottom of the cage now, even if Caius is in the top doing his own thing. I think Caius could be jealous of him. When Remy approaches for treats Caius will charge Remy so he runs away. There has not been any injuries, bites or much else. Remy has took to staying in this hammock and rarely comes down. Its not like Caius is after Remy. Caius just does his own thing. Its rather if Remy is in the way, or at the food bowl at the same time, or trying to see me at the same time. So beats me what to do! I have separated the cages again, so Remy is on the bottom and Caius on the top. Caius isn't happy with this. They can see and smell each other. Any suggestions. Should i try again when Remy older. or is Caius just happy to be alone rat? I dont want Remy continuing to be afraid to venture far from this hammock. I think in all due regards caius is trying to flip Remy upside down, as they do in order to assert dominance. But i have never seen Remy be flipped, or Caius flip him. As Remy being a wimp just runs like crazy when Caius runs at him. Any help would be appreciated!

Maybe you could try the introduction again, until it works, or you could get Caius neutered. I'm not really sure as I'm a new rat mom, but that's what I would try.

So they've been together and no blood or serious fights? I think you're right that Caius is a bit territorial over certain things, and you but if he's not seriously fighting with your other boy then I'd try again. Also, you could neuter the little Remy. Remy is afraid of course b/c he's the new boy and in a new environment.

WHen you first got Remy and put him in the bottom, what was Caius like? Did he huff and puff at him? Any attempted biting through the bars? What was Remy like when he first was placed in the bottom?

Rats, like humans, have a rich psychology.

Based on what you wrote, I'd definitely try putting them together again and I would seriously consider getting Remy neutered as to be less of a threat to Caius. It's easier to get the little one neutered than to put an older rat through that if you don't have to.

So they've been together and no blood or serious fights? I think you're right that Caius is a bit territorial over certain things, and you but if he's not seriously fighting with your other boy then I'd try again. Also, you could neuter the little Remy. Remy is afraid of course b/c he's the new boy and in a new environment.

WHen you first got Remy and put him in the bottom, what was Caius like? Did he huff and puff at him? Any attempted biting through the bars? What was Remy like when he first was placed in the bottom?

Rats, like humans, have a rich psychology.

Based on what you wrote, I'd definitely try putting them together again and I would seriously consider getting Remy neutered as to be less of a threat to Caius. It's easier to get the little one neutered than to put an older rat through that if you don't have to.
No serious fights. The behaviour observed, is that the other rat newcomer sticks to the hammocks, tubes and ladders but seems scared of my other rat. Caius my other rat isn't bothering the newcomer. On typing this they are snuggled together on a topmost wooden ledge together. However as soon as Caius (older rat moved) Remy (newcomer jumped in fear) Its almost like caius just wants to hang out with remy, but remy runs away. Caius tries to push himself under remy as to say 'groom me' Earlier today, remy was perched on top of the food bowl, and caius just went up to take food out. Remy protests and squeaks, but caius wasnt even touching him, he was just getting food out the bowl.

There as mentioned are moments where Cauis will chase remy. They have been together for 3 weeks. im going to leave them in the bottom part of the cage together, for a while, snuggled together. Remy seems to just want to hide out on the ledge and stay there. When i got remy there was no aggression from caius to him either, just the moments of chasing. definitely, no blood, Remy doesn't have a scratch on him. Maybe keeping them in the bottom part of the cage will allow Remy not to fear Caius. Caius seems unpredictable, one minute he wants to snuggle with Remy the next he is chasing remy

Rats do chase each other. My oldest girl is chased sometimes and she squonks but there's no blood, no serious fighting. They end up sleeping together in a purse I've hung in the closet. Can you get a video of these interactions?

Back