What To Ask Your New Vet

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake S.

Hello all! New rat owner here. My rat has fleas (another topic for another thread, pop into that if you have any advice for me on that) but other than that they seem happy and healthy. I've had them for two weeks and I think it's due that I find a vet. There's two or three practices near me that treat rodents. I just wanted to hear from you who are much more experienced than me on what to look for. Obviously good reviews are important, but what are some things I should ask in particular? I just don't want to have anything get skipped over even if the vet is good. I want to make sure my girls are in good hands.
Also, when I find a good vet and bring the girls in for a check-up, what should I ask in that situation? Being a new owner, I want to make sure I cover all my bases.
Thank you so much!

So first of all, it's rare you'll find fleas on rats. Mites and lice however is common.
With vets, it's hard to find out which ones are really good and which ones need work. But a lot of vets are willing to learn and grow with you.

ask what their experience is with treating rats, ask if the charge by the appointment or number of animals, and you will likely want to know what their fees are. You may want to check with other rat owners in your area to see if they recommend any vets. As Jorats said, one of the most important things is that they like rats and that they are willing to learn and willing to consult vets more experienced in treating rats

Back