What should I use for shelves?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa

I have a super hate-on for the clips on levels in my PetSmart cage. I hate taking them off because they are so hard to unsnap and end up almost inuring myself. I can't use fleece on them either I don't think cuz U can't put clips on the sides. What can I use as an alternative that I can clip fleece on?

Cool, maybe I will try clipping fleece to the cage. The boys are so messy and it's so annoying to have to wipe it down all of the time.

I tried to go fabric free a couple weeks ago and it drove me nuts. I much prefer to change the fabric every couple of days.

I bought a huge flannel sheet at the Salvation army and cut a whole pile of pieces that are the perfect size to cover the shelves... just enough overhang that the fabric can become worn, not so much that it becomes a nuisance and the girls drag it around. Then I just safety pin the corners in place. The young girls have taught Emma how to scramble around underneath the fabric.

I also use lots of cut up t-shirts and things.

Okay deleting this whole post. :laugh2: I wrote out a little paragraph completely missing the point that you can't clip anything on your cage. Sorry!

I removed the superpet shelves and made my own that I much preferred :) Thats how I solved my problems with pee rivers and smelly plastic shelves with holes in them :wink2:

Hi All,

From reading posts on here is seems like fabric-covered shelves are the way to go. I have a superpet cage and always thought those shelves were nice because you didn't have to cover them with anything, just wipe them down.

Am i missing something?

Tara

I can't speak for the others but my big beef with the super pet levels are the gullies. The pee and poop and all other stuff seem to gather there.
Another thing... if the solid levels stay dirty too long, it can result in bacteria for the rats which can then develop into bumblefoot.

But for those that wipe up the shelves and keep them nice and clean, it's not a problem at all or for those with potty trained rats. :wink:

I just found that daily (or twice daily) wipe ups a hassle. The girls seemed SO dirty after two days with no fabric, and I was doing my best to stay on top of the mess. Fabric of any sort just sops up those icky messes and I only need to change them every other day.

lilspaz68 said:
I removed the superpet shelves and made my own that I much preferred :) Thats how I solved my problems with pee rivers and smelly plastic shelves with holes in them :wink2:

What did yo make your shelves out of? I really want to replace my super pet shelves as well!

Tara

Back