What kind of rat is this?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jbently28

Screenshot_2018-08-16-17-28-38-1.png
Screenshot_2018-08-16-17-29-32-1.png
I've had pet rats several times since I was a little girl, but I've been out of the rat game for about 8 years now. My 11 year old daughter is getting her first pet rats this weekend. I found someone on craigslist that breeds them. They've sent me pics of all the babies that they have available. They sent me this pic and I was blown away by her markings. Can anyone tell me what kind she is or is this just a freak accident?

she's an adorable one LOL

that's a fairly common color and markings for a rat, have you only had pink eyed white rats in the past?
I think she'd be called a black berkshire but I'd have to check, there's a few sites that show all the different colors and markings

https://www.dapper.com.au/whatrat.htm

http://www.ratsauce.com/rat-breeds/rat-markings

and others
No I've had hooded, capped, barebacks, siamese, and blazed rats in the past. I looked it up on the AFRMA website and it's actually a tri-color. I've never seen one before and it just kinda surprised me. I've seen most other rats in person. I thought maybe this was just a newer marking that had just come about or something.
Screenshot_2018-08-17-07-02-52-1.png

Sorry to tell you this, but she's not a tricolor, she's molting from her baby coat to her adult coat. At the end of it she will be a proper black Berk.

Molting can cause some crazy patterns. She looks like a darling girl :)

But the breeder actually showed me pics of when she first got her coat in at a week old and she had the same exact markings???

oh I didn't even notice that lighter patch, must not have been fully awake when I looked the first time

I've never heard of tricolor.

I've had some rex rats that had thin areas of fur on them, and I think they are called "poor rex" because they are a poor representation of that type...

I stand by my first assessment however, the girl in the photo IS adorable lol

oh I didn't even notice that lighter patch, must not have been fully awake when I looked the first time

I've never heard of tricolor.

I've had some rex rats that had thin areas of fur on them, and I think they are called "poor rex" because they are a poor representation of that type...

I stand by my first assessment however, the girl in the photo IS adorable lol
The poor rex thing could be a possibility. The breeders do have a lot of rexs. It would be interesting to know if she carried the rex trait.

The poor rex thing could be a possibility. The breeders do have a lot of rexs. It would be interesting to know if she carried the rex trait.

OH I'm sorry I didn't mean, maybe your rat is a poor rex, I meant to say maybe the 3 colors is a um mistake, or a poor version of a standard color. Is what I was trying to say
lol
oh I think some days I should just shut up - at least til my brain has warmed up a bit
LOL

OH I'm sorry I didn't mean, maybe your rat is a poor rex, I meant to say maybe the 3 colors is a um mistake, or a poor version of a standard color. Is what I was trying to say
lol
oh I think some days I should just shut up - at least til my brain has warmed up a bit
LOL
Oh ok lol. I feel ya on the whole brain not working properly thing. With 3 littles driving me crazy all summer, I feel most of the time like my brain is on standby. Thank God the 2 oldest started back to school this week lol

Here is a pic of my special needs PEW molting. She looks like a pink hoodie lol

Jan%2010%2016%20Pele%20molting.jpg
I think that is about the neatest thing I have seen thus far! I was showing my daughters pics of all the different colors that rats come in. My 6 year old asks if there were any pink rats. I of course told her no. I guess I'll have to show her this pic when she gets home lol. Too bad she didn't keep the coloring. That would have made for an awesome conversation starter lol

Screenshot_2018-08-16-17-23-08-1.png
Btw, this is the other little blazed girl that we are picking up tomorrow. My husband put a blue male that is approximately 4-5 months old on hold here at a local pet store. He was the first rat that we had come across in months locally. He's super sweet and my husband fell in love with him. He's picking him up today. He will of course have his own cage separate from the females and we will be looking for another male companion for him. We may consider becoming registered breeders in the near future. It is nearly impossible to find rats here in the Shreveport/Bossier area. We love them so much and would love to be able to provide more people with the opportunity to experience the joy of owning them as pets. Of course, we would only breed at spaced out intervals once the females are mature and healthy enough to do so. These rats are our pets and would only want to do what is best for them. And we would adopt out same sex pairs only and require for one to adopt in pairs or more. Im a stay at home mom and this would be a great opportunity to do something I love. We have a spare bedroom that would be dubbed the "rat room". Does anyone have experience in being a registered breeder? I've had litters in the past so I am completely familiar with the breeding cycle, but not with being registered.

Welcome to the forum!! :)
Just so you are aware, this forum is quite unique as it is a rat rescue forum.

The Rat Shack was created primarily to offer a place were rat lovers can unite in order to learn and share their experiences with regards to rat care.
It was also created to promote rats needing good homes, rats in rescues and shelters.
This board serves as a friendly and helpful resource for all members.
https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/please-read.29217/

This forum does not support the breeding of rats, so please discuss breeding on a different site. Since most sites are breeder friendly you should have no problem finding lots of information.

Your little girls are very sweet and I hope that you and your ratties stick around.

Back