What is Your New Normal?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well our new norm is a pretty big adjustment but coping. Wearing of mask and shield when going out and of course with social distancing. Everything go sanitize upon arriving at home - from clothes worn, shoes, goods purchased and eco bag. Taking Vit D3, C and Zinc (before was just vit C). Market or grocery day is 2 to 3 times a month. And lastly--homeschooling.

#misshavingtravels

Hi folks,

What are your newly adjusted routines in this pandemic? Care to share. Thanks guys.
Lots of handwashing. Whenever I stray out of my place for anything I wash my hands with soap and water when I come back. I wear a mask when I have to at certain stores. The lines to get into stores are sometimes horrible. You can't go into the vets office with your pet any more. You have to wait outside. I've spent a couple late nights pacing in the cold parkinglot of the ER vet for hours.

I'm not worried about the virus though but I am cautious and the best thing I'm doing is washing my hands.

I take my rats for walks almost every day and just do my normal life.

My new normal is stress. I live alone in Toronto, and haven't seen my much adored elderly mom (90) since mid-February. She lives just outside of Shelburne, ON with my brother and I used to go up for a weekend every month which we both loved. It was my stress-relief. They have no internet so I have only the phone.

Now I haven't seen any family, have seen friends very little (even distanced). I do see my co-workers who aren't very worried about the seriousness of a pandemic. I bought a laptop, installed remote access programs on my own, so I could work remotely but my co-workers aren't very capable of thinking how to work remotely. So instead of scanning stuff to me so i can do work remotely they just dump it on my desk so I have to take transit and go into the tiny cramped office. I am the only one who wipes things down, tries to distance, and now I am wearing a mask at my desk all day long. I go into work about 3 days a week to make everyone happy.

I try to do shopping once a week or more, and try to avoid going out if possible but I wear a mask as soon as I step out my door, wash /sanitize my hands upon arrival to work or home, etc.

My new normal is stress. I live alone in Toronto, and haven't seen my much adored elderly mom (90) since mid-February. She lives just outside of Shelburne, ON with my brother and I used to go up for a weekend every month which we both loved. It was my stress-relief. They have no internet so I have only the phone.

Now I haven't seen any family, have seen friends very little (even distanced). I do see my co-workers who aren't very worried about the seriousness of a pandemic. I bought a laptop, installed remote access programs on my own, so I could work remotely but my co-workers aren't very capable of thinking how to work remotely. So instead of scanning stuff to me so i can do work remotely they just dump it on my desk so I have to take transit and go into the tiny cramped office. I am the only one who wipes things down, tries to distance, and now I am wearing a mask at my desk all day long. I go into work about 3 days a week to make everyone happy.

I try to do shopping once a week or more, and try to avoid going out if possible but I wear a mask as soon as I step out my door, wash /sanitize my hands upon arrival to work or home, etc.
I live alone too Lil Spaz. I'm far far away from my family. My family is in Boston and I'm in Vancouver.

Its been weird since the hubby and I hate socializing, eating out, going out about town - when our state went into lockdown, it kinda didn't change anything for us. And prior to the pandemic, the hubby had issues with "outside contamination" so we already had an established routine of washing/sanitizing, outside vs. inside clothes, etc. The only new element was the face mask.

I work half on-site and half remote, and its working okay. Taking public transit to work is weird - super nice that its not crowded, but the crazy folks are out in full force. We got lucky with child-care - they were able to pivot quickly and get those "pods" formed with super-intense cleaning and safety measures. Unfortunately, but expected, my daughter's kindergarten went virtual, and she's struggling with that. She had a melt-down today and refused to attend her last Zoom class.

My dad passed away in September (cancer, not covid), and I wasn't able to travel to say goodbye or attend his funeral. That sucked majorly, but thank goodness for Facetime.

Rodent-wise its been interesting. Our local rescues had to cancel a bunch of spay/neuter surgeries due to the pandemic, so I haven't been able to adopt fixed rats. Crossing my fingers that the ones scheduled for November go through since I'm boy-less now and I have two intact females. And strangely enough, there are no adoptable hamsters (huge waitlist!) because they suddenly became the "let's entertain kids without screen-time" option in my area.

That is kinda heartbreaking. Being apart from family - well with the usual routine of visiting them - is really sad. But I think being stressed out will not help. Probably you can set a new norm on how to spend time with them even virtually.

That is kinda heartbreaking. Being apart from family - well with the usual routine of visiting them - is really sad. But I think being stressed out will not help. Probably you can set a new norm on how to spend time with them even virtually.
You can use your phone to make video conference calls via Duo app

My new normal is to live day day with a mask, face shield. And to only buy what is necessary. I do go out only 2x a month to buy the important stuff - and I am already being accustomed into it.

Hi folks,

What are your newly adjusted routines in this pandemic? Care to share. Thanks guys.
My "new" normal? Is absolutely no different than my old normal, except I have to keep a mask I'm my car, although I usually just cover my face by pulling my t-shirt up over my nose, which is arguably just as effective. I refuse to adhere to my state's dumb mandatory 10pm quarantine/curfew for non-essentials." This stupidity has been forced upon us for far too long, even the proponents have begun to agree with this. So, yeah, my new normal is that I have a mask in my glovebox, which is where is usually stays, lol.

My new normal is no different from my old normal, I was a work from home introvert for years before this started. But since the passing of one of my ratties last month, leaving her cagemate as a solo, my work desk has now been set up as a 'safe' play space so I guess my new normal is her greeting me at the cage door every morning waiting to be scooped out and plopped onto my desk where she will play until lunchtime every day

Attachments

• 10577a.jpg
    10577a.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 10578a.jpg
    10578a.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 10579a.jpg
    10579a.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 166
My new normal is no different from my old normal, I was a work from home introvert for years before this started. But since the passing of one of my ratties last month, leaving her cagemate as a solo, my work desk has now been set up as a 'safe' play space so I guess my new normal is her greeting me at the cage door every morning waiting to be scooped out and plopped onto my desk where she will play until lunchtime every day
Lovely and adorable ratty ☺. She wants to be with you all the time. Sorry to hear about your ratty who passed away, thats sad. Your new normal is quite fun even if it is no really different from the old normal.

i wake up. pet rats. eat. take the rats out and put them on my shoulders then bring them to the couch to cuddle them. after 30 minits i bring my rats upstairs for a bathroom break and i wait 5 minutes (cause Remmy refuses to go and always wants to come out) then take them back out and watch tv with them (kade tries to jump off the couch most of the time but after a while will chill out) dont worry i give my girls a bathroom break every 30 minuts. and then i put them away eat dinner and then give my rats there goodnight hugs and kisses. they have gotten to the point when they will wait at the door for me to give them therehugs and kisses!

Back