What is this?? HELP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiebug9806

This was huge abscess/growth on his tummy. And now it looks like an open wound. It was black and very large and has disappeared. This is all that is left. Don’t know what’s going on and worried 9AF33A00-7404-4DCD-A2A6-1C7C76ECE624.png
9AF33A00-7404-4DCD-A2A6-1C7C76ECE624.png

Looks like a popped abscess.! If you can smell it does it have a bad smell? I think it's healing on its own not too long ago I had a rattie with a popped abscess so we just cleaned it a bit *kinda like a saline flush* and it was closed and perfectly fine within a few days.

(I forgot to ask this) do they have a buddy.? I've dealt with two abscesses so far and I think mine are from a bit too hard of a play bite.!

(I forgot to ask this) do they have a buddy.? I've dealt with two abscesses so far and I think mine are from a bit too hard of a play bite.!

Yes! He has two. His brother and another male. The other male is kind of the alpha of the two. There is lots of fighting in the cage.

Yes! He has two. His brother and another male. The other male is kind of the alpha of the two. There is lots of fighting in the cage.
Are they neutered.? If not I would recommend doing so if they are fighting. Do they draw blood on each other or is it just play.? All my rats are young so they are still learning. If you can flush the wound a bit that may help it heal faster and if he starts to seem off or the hole doesn't look better soon I would take him to the vet.! My first abscess encounter I got her on antibiotics but the second we didn't give any antibiotics as it was already healing so we kept it clean and now you can't even tell.!

Where is the rat's penis in relation to the wound? I couldn't see the genitals and I wanted to make sure it wasn't actually his penis that was infected.

I usually am concerned when I see wounds on my rats' stomachs. Back, neck, and shoulders are usually where I see injuries like this. I very seldom see wounds on their tummies and that is almost always caused by another rat bullying the injured rat.

How long have the rats known each other? If it's been a while, I would suggest possibly removing the aggressor for a neuter. Male rats love to establish dominance, so their posturing and rough playing could be mistaken for aggression and fighting. If there is a lot of shrill, stressed squeaking and squealing, I would remove the aggressive rat.

Back