What happend?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bati

My darling Benjamin, only 18 months, 3 days ago I heard a lot of screaming and found two bullying him, took him out and ever since he's been in a box (no lid), he does move around but not much, prefers to lye on his side and his litte back-leg (or most the foot) is shaking like he's freezing. He doesn't eat too much, gave him kitten-milk-replacer and he gulped it down like he was starving.

Been to the vet but he couldn't say anything - I just thought of checken Benjamins teath, but what else? does he need medicin?

When 5 weeks old, Benjamin fell on the floor and hit his head and ever since he's been like someone with downs syndrome, very slow and behind and completely in love with everyone. He's been a bit to a side, physical, not headtilt but just not up straight, now it's like his whole body is to a side and when he wakes up and wants to walk he's struggling to get the legs pointing down (is he suffering?)

Will get him a cage and two friends.

Could be a stroke? Sounds like he's having little spasms or even seizures?
Sounds like a neurological event.
You could try prednisone or Dexamethasone.

I can get prednisone, you have any idea of the future, is he going to die? is he in pain? He still looks so happy, but still, he had a rat bite his tale almost off and that time he was happy too. It's only his foot that's shaking like nervous, not big shaking.

He's such a sweet special darling :wink:

It sounds like spinal nerve degeneration or as Jo said hind end degeneration. I watched my boy and my girl (Hestia) have little muscle spasms (like shivers) over their haunches and hind legs/feet.

Most likely you were looking at him carefully after his fight with the others and just noticed it. :)

He was pts yesterday, I wonder if you can tell me what happend to him and if something might have been done to rescue him (not because I want to feel bad, but just in case it happens to someone else) - he ended up having water-like poops, and started smelling really strange, sweet-like, I'd say it was very pleasant almost flower-like, but also a bit rotten. He got a giant wound on his back just at the end close to his tail (dry and not infected) and started loosing weight. Have a little low-cash and found it better to save for the live ones than having an autopsy done :(

Aww poor Benjamin, sounds like he had some type of systemic infection (his whole body not just a small part) from the smell. The 2 who were bullying him were probably trying to drive him out of the colony as instinct tells them that sick members will bring attention from predators.

I am so sorry. :(

I'm so sorry :cry: Your Benjamin sounds like he was an especially sweet little guy.

I don't imagine there's much more you could have done for him since the vet couldn't give you any answers when you first took him in. Perhaps the wound by his tail damaged his spine and let in infection? Or perhaps he was already sick and the others sensed it like lilspaz said.

You did the kindest you could do for him, I'm sorry for your sad loss.

Thank you, and yes I'm sad too, but I did my best, just sometimes people here knows something my vet doesn't (he is looking around in here for advice sometimes)

I value my vet very high, just those 3 years we've been 'together' we've both learned so much, and thats to the benefit of both my babies and many other peoples babies (so thanks to the experienced people on this forum)

Back