Somthings gone horribly amiss

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wich one?

• Male

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Female

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

DapperRat

There is an update. Look at the bottom

Attachments

• 20190318_143724.jpg
    20190318_143724.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
looks female. get another one bc they are super social and won't be happy alone.

sorry, didn't read that you already have 2 rats! anyway...looks like a girl to me.

If she is pregnant, I would post in a site like Craiglist that you have rat babies available as pets (be VERY careful for people looking for feeders). I would place them for "adoption" with a fee larger than what a feeder rat goes for to deter those guys. You can also contact local elementary schools and maybe donate as a class pet!
You also contact pet stores like PetCo and see if any employees want a pet rat or two. I actually did this before. You never know!

Great thanks. Its just a possibillity. We bought her as a feeder rescue and thought she was a boy. Its not mine and she has a big enough cage for her.
She too young to be pregnant (it could be dangerous) shes only 6 weeks old

That looks like a little girl to me.! I saved a rattie from being snake food as well!

6 weeks she could possibly be pregnant especially IF an adult male was in with her. If it was only babies, its much more unlikely.
Ok that makes me feel a bit better. If she is, will she be ok? I dont 6hink we can raise the babies properly. And were moving. And we cant get rid of her and we cant get her a female friend for her. Shes not my rat. Is there a way to convince my folks to get rid of her? I have two males if that helps my case.

There are three problems i see.#1 she has no friend. #2 she. Could get toumours and we cant pay for them. #3 they could make my males aggressive. They are in a different room but they are right next to each other and we have the doors open almost all day. Are there any concerns with what i said? I have found very little information on the aggressiveness of males with a female nearby. Pleaae supply me with information about the aggressiveness of males close to females (about 15 feet apart). Or other problems that keeping her might bring. I also want to stress that she will be in all likelihood alone and without a companion.

Last edited:
Perhaps you could rehome her to an a good rat owner who will get her spayed (important to do if possible because of the health benefits), provide vet care and provide her with rattie friends

Rats need to live with other rats
Rats are very motivated and very smart and people are not perfect 100% of the time so having two intact sexes in the same household is and accident waiting to happen
Intact (ie unneutered) male rats can be stressed and may be aggressive towards one another when girls go into heat (every 4-5 days)

UPDATE: last night at about 11:30 i was in the b-room.(don't ask) and all of the sudden i heard some scraping on her little cardboard box and she plopped out like a dead fish. there was nothing i could do. she is dead and i feel horrible. this has happened before while she was in my care. she was struggling in my hand and falling over on one side but we revived her. i thing it could have been a seizure via lack of oxygen to the brain. any more ideas? she was so young. were stumped. sigh.

Back