What are you doing these days? New Ratties? Trips? Making things?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hi all. I thought it would be fun to find out what else we do these days. I know all are looking out for our pets, but are they going on trips with you? Are you a camper, or do you make little hammocks for them?

I've been taking some rides in the country, just for a mini trip away from home for a few hours. And I've been looking at making some hammocks or other items that would be neat for our little furry loves.

How about you? What are you doing these days?

My family and I are in the process of moving to Georgia!
Though loosing my last personal pet a short while ago put a severe damper on things... That hamster was quite special.

Sad things aside, things are quite stressful for us right now, but it's a good change~

Since my first buddies died i couldn't bring myself to get any more rats. I loved them so much and it hurt me too much to see them go so soon. My sisters friend called her and said she found a rat or mouse in the parking lot. It was barley a week old. She found her and bottle fed her warmed kitten formula every 3 hours even throughout the night and kept her on a warmed heating pad. She survived the first week, and then the second, and third. That was just under a year ago. She turned out to be a roof rat. We named her nugget. She is pretty awesome. She LOVES people and will hang out with you for ever. The first pic is nuggie when we found her. She was 1/8th of an ounce. The second pic is the most recent pic. shes an awesome little bugger and i love her like shes my own pet.

Attachments

• 4C859E72-99BD-482F-A841-CC6C7CF0D493.jpeg
    4C859E72-99BD-482F-A841-CC6C7CF0D493.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 31
  • CC15FB67-AAF7-41D2-BB8B-FE9BFB5F9B60.jpeg
    CC15FB67-AAF7-41D2-BB8B-FE9BFB5F9B60.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 29
Plotting activities and a possible walk-in enclosure for my mismatched colony (various ages, colours, genders [males neutered], etc.). Setting up the house for upcoming foster ratties & orphaned kittens. If my eldest rat didn't have a PT currently (loses her balance so easily), I'd take her for nature hikes with me like I used to do with our last male. I was thinking of getting one of those backpacks meant for carrying parrots so I could take my ratties on safer adventures all together.

Since my first buddies died i couldn't bring myself to get any more rats. I loved them so much and it hurt me too much to see them go so soon. My sisters friend called her and said she found a rat or mouse in the parking lot. It was barley a week old. She found her and bottle fed her warmed kitten formula every 3 hours even throughout the night and kept her on a warmed heating pad. She survived the first week, and then the second, and third. That was just under a year ago. She turned out to be a roof rat. We named her nugget. She is pretty awesome. She LOVES people and will hang out with you for ever. The first pic is nuggie when we found her. She was 1/8th of an ounce. The second pic is the most recent pic. shes an awesome little bugger and i love her like shes my own pet.
So precious! And I love her name XD

I’ve lost two of my older girls recently which is heartbreaking but they lived to 2 1/2 so that makes me happy. My current group is made up of 3 youngsters that aren’t super outgoing but love to take treats from me and one older girl who wants to be around me all the time 😝 I love them all so much but free roam hasn’t been super interesting because no one wants to come out except the outgoing girl. I’ve been trying to keep their cage as exciting as possible because they don’t really want to come out to play.

I'm recovering from surgery, and Lynda is about to go in for a lumpectomy and spay. Her sister, Dolly, went through the same procedure a few months back; Lynda's tiny mass is in the exact same location (lowest left nipple). The mass is only about the size of a lentil, so we're catching it early.

While she's recovering, I'm going to be making some hurdles, fences, and other obstacles. She doesn't fetch, but she'll put her toys away; this will give her an obstacle course to run while putting them away. Once she recovers fully, she'll be more than up to the challenge! The other two have no interest in trick training. Dolly prefers to get straight to the point, and Oleksii would rather go pea fishing.

Today we had a fight between the boys. Both got a small scratch and one bystander also got injured. Girls were watching from a different building and they looked very interested (they love gossip). I think the fight was because of the spot that is used for watching the girls, as this spot gives the clearest view of the girls building. 😁😁

Decorating a new deck with furniture and plants, trying to re-introduce our rats s after getting them implanted due to aggression, walking through peaceful forests and getting ready for a garage sale!

@bunnytin sounds like a very nice day. I'm enjoying having weather nice enough for the windows in the home being open.

I had a baby in december!! A little overlap with my last rattie Pinecone who I’d brought back to life a couple times with overnight care n supplements. What a trip though. Oof!!! I will be taking a break from rats for a while. It was really strange for me to stare into my babys face everyday the first couple weeks.. it made Pinecone seem more like a reptile, and I have loved reptiles. I sold all my rat stuff except for a travel cage I made of a clear storage bin. That thing allowed me to travel with all six of my rats and it homes one of my rats and her 11 babies in the early days. It took so long to make. Not sure what I will do with it but if I end up selling it or giving it away, I would like it to be well loved.

Congratulations on your baby! There's a major life change, and I can see how you might not have enough time/energy for pets right now. But your fond memories of rats will linger, and odds are you will find yourself missing them some day. When your little one grows old enough demand a pet of his/her own, which one will you recommend? Dogs and cats are a long-term responsibility. Hamsters (bless 'em) are typically dull and anti-social. Bunnies can be skittish. Bet I know which way you'll lean...sweet baby rats with fun and mischief in their eyes won't look so much like reptiles then. Prove me wrong! ;)

Raising 6 kids. Homeschooling. Planting gardens, getting veg starts going, caring for all the homestead beasties, hatching eggs, raising orphaned rats, preparing a sheep pasture and barn for the fall. Not sleeping, I can tell you that much- hahaha
Are the wildlings doing well? Are they in any way different from the "fancy rats" you've had in the past?

I'm trying to figure out why years later and after unsubscribing multiple times I still get email notifications that some dip stick has tagged me or started a new conversation with me because they learned they can @everyone and it drives me nuts. I trapped one rat years ago and it had some weird **** on it and I wanted to know what it was. Now I am stuck in this eternal rat shack hell of being conversated with.

Back