What are the best lab blocks to buy?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So ok another question (sorry if I repeat myself or if I have asked it before I'm so tired tonight). I am currently feeding my girls a seed mixture, and I want to get them off of that. SO:

Blocks they seem to horde all the time and I was asking Wayne (because he's the one who emptys out the pan) and he finds about 7 half eaten. I know I put in more then that. With the seed mixture they will sit on the edge of the bowl eating it.

What do you suggest I do. I am pretty sure I want to get in on the Harlan run. What should I also add. I know that if they are hungry enough they will eat so I am not worried that way. I just don't know what to feed them.

My local pet store will be getting Martin's Rat Food in:
Problem with this one is that corn is the first ingredients so I don't really like it:

Here's the stats
Crude Protein (Min)20.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 7.0 %
Crude Fibre (Min) 4.0%
Moisture (Max)10.0%
Calcium (Act.) 0.9%
Phosphorus (Act.) 0.65%
Sodium (Act.) 0.2%
Vitamin A (Min) 17600 iu/kg
Vitamin D3(Min) 2200 iu/kg
Vitamin E (Min) 55 iu/kg

Not sure about this one but what do you suggest.

Fat 7%... that's a no-no!
Same with the protein, much too high.
Unless supplemented with daily foods that are low in protein to bring down the daily %.

Seed mix is very bad for rats, usually lacks calcium.
Stashing blocks is not a bad thing, it's their natural instinct and puts them to work. Stashing is usually kept for the good stuff, not yummy stuff but the good stuff that will keep for the winter, know what I mean? Think of it like a squirrel, give the squirrel acorns and he'll go stash them, give him a peanut butter cookie and he'll probably eat it on the spot. Mine does anyway. lol

The protein and fat are a bit high.. I always suggest something 18% protein or lower, and keep the fat around 5% or so.

As for them stashing the blocks and eating the seed mix.. If you had your choice of popcorn or [insert vegetable that people generally don't like] which would you choose? You're going to go nuts over the popcorn, and eat the other stuff when the popcorn's all gone. If you go ahead and stop giving them the seed mix altogether, they'll start eating more of the blocks.

If you can get in on the HT run, that's great. You'll want to have a backup plan, too, for when HT raises their order limit. You'll want to find another source, or another food to give them.

Ok. I will take them off the seed mixture, maybe what I will do is I still have some left, I will slowly wean them off of it. I will put less and less seed in the good bowl and put more blocks. NOW... if I see the block bowl empty should I keep filling it or search for the blocks to see what they have. For the most part when we clean if there are a lot in the cage we put them back in the bowl. They think they are sneaky, but we are too.

Hey on the other hand I can go into the seed mixture, pick out the 'other' non seed stuff and put the seeds out for the birds. Does that work??

What seed mix are you giving?

For the blocks, that's what I do, I check the cage and put them back in the bowl. It makes them work harder. :wink:

I threw out the package, but if anyone knows you can get it from Global Pet Foods.

It's got some other things then just seeds now that I look at it,
It's got things that are the same type consistancy as blocks but different shapes, round, cheerio like. There are sunflower seeds, little pellets that I know my rats HATE, corn and a bunch of other things that aren't seeds. I will go in tomorrow to the pet store and find out what's in it and what it's called.

I clean out my girls' stash every day during their playtime. They get an hour of unsupervised playtime in the pen, so it gives me a chance to pick up and clean when I need to. Of course, they're all so bloody brilliant, they stash the blocks under every single wooden chew toy in the flat hammock. Oh, my rats are smart.. :doh: I refill their bowl when there's only a couple blocks left per rat.

I'd definitely go ahead and get them off of the seed mix. Toss it in your yard, or in a bird feeder. The birds and critters will appreciate it.

Jo: we were talking about using Harlan and Oxbow together. Could I use the nutriblocks from Pet Valu along with Harlan. Would that work??

Back