What are the best lab blocks to buy?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been researching rat food for a long time now. The one I think is the best is Oxbow Regal rat but the problem is it's not highly palatable and most rats tend to stop liking it. The next best food in my opinion is Harlan Teklad 2014. And the problem there, it's not readily available to the general public.

The main thing to look at is your protein and fat levels, you want your protein as low as you can, 14% is excellent. Fat should be the lowest as well, no higher than 5%.

The ingredients are important as well. Most people are scared when they see corn as part of the first main ingredients. But corn is a carb and a good energy source with some nutritional value, not much but some and it's a pretty good filler. I don't like any block with soybean meal/oil. Soybean add phytoestrogen to the diet and in turn may or may not play a roll in mammary tumours and pituitary tumours but I'm not taking any chances.
I also don't like a food filled with preservatives especially BHA or BHT, ingredients also found in motor oil.

If I were to give a recommendation, I would tell you to give a mix of Oxbow and HT 2014. But if those are not available, then I would recommend the Living World Nutriblock sold at most Pet Valu. If you can't find those, then I would go for Hagan Extrusion for hamsters, which is formulated well for rats.

Thanks for the info, Jo. This is especially good to know now that HT won't be available anymore if you just want to buy the bags.

You'd have to try and get on a Harlan Teklad run. Some people get together and buy a whole bunch. It has to be ordered from the main Harlan headquarters, the delivered to a distributor. There's a minimum cost per order. Currently it's $100 but going up to $500. :(
For a very large bag of 40lbs, it's only $12.

There are rescue in the US that sell and ship smaller bags of Harlan. Kim's Ark is one of them.

The problem with the runs is that with HT's minimum order price going up like that, people aren't going to be able to make runs like they had been. I believe someone just recently made a run, but I don't know about any plans for another any time soon.

You can order HT from Kim's Ark, a rat rescue in the north east US. They charge $1/lb+shipping. You can find them at http://www.kimsarkrescue.org/

I personally prefer the 2018. My rats enjoy them, have never had any problem with them, and readily available for me.

I am planning to do a Harlan run very soon, before the minimum order amount goes up. I'll do a post once I have some plans made.

Woohoo Mumsyrat!!!

My ratties are gonna love you to bits! :heart: :heart:

Before I got my first bags of HT 2018 and 2014 (the low protein one is their ultimate favourite), I was feeding the Mazuri 6F that you buy in 50 lb bags at Ren's in Oakville. :)

Oi, well I am glad the next to best thing is readily available - living world from Pet Valu.

Mumsy let me know when you are doing a run and I will probably chip in.

I got in on MumsyRat's last Harlan run, and hopefully she will continue to be able to get it. I still say you should start selling it through your rescue, Elizabeth! :)

Shipipng from the USA to Canada on anything that weighs over a few pounds is ridiculously expensive.

Just shipping from Ontario to Manitoba was $30 or $40 (can't remember exactly)... no way I could afford to buy food from the American rescues.

I wish I could get around the high cost of shipping - it's a killer! That's the only thing that's really holding me back from starting up a web site. With a big freezer and cheap shipping I would have no problem doing a $500 order.

I wish FedEx in Canada had the flat rate shipping box like they do in the States.

Wow.. Those are some pretty steep shipping prices. I know here in the US, we can send you guys up to 15lbs for $21.85. After 15lbs it gets up into the $40+

How much would a rental van for a day be anyways? I'd pitch in to still be able to get these blocks. I am on my final bag of 2018 so if the run isn't within a few weeks, the ratters will be getting another 50 lb bag of Mazuri 6F (much to their disgust....:roll:)

I'd say $80? I'm not in need right now but in the future, I'd definitely pay in upwards of $30 or whatever it takes to fully cover the expenses for a big bag of HT and I wouldn't just buy one, I'd get several bags.

Ok so I am a little confused. What makes Harlan so good? For example over the Living World from Pet Valu?

I am just trying to think if its worth me getting in on the Harlan Run. My girls seem to horde all the block in their bed or shavings and eat them later

The only Harlan I like is the 2014. It contains no soybean meal/oil and no fish meal either. To me this is important mainly because of phytoestrogen in soybean and mercury in fish meal.
Also, corn is not the main ingredient.

Back