what are some comman illness/ health issue signs I should watch for?

• Thread starter creative animal lover
  • Start date
The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

creative animal lover

I was wondering what are some command signs that mean a rat has something wrong? This might be a dumb thread since I feel like if anything is obviously wrong I can google the symptoms or go to the vet, but what are some comman things rats get that I should be aware of and what are the symptoms? I have been looking through the health care threads, but none of them have really helped answer this question.

I know a lot of porthylan is a sign of illness as well as lumps that can mean things like cysts and tumorsor abscesses, and also sneezing/ weird breathing can mean respiratory infection, but what are other comman things I should really know that would be helpful. Also I have been looking at abscesses which kind of worry me since they look like open wounds and I hear you have to wait for them to pop and scab over?

I am still researching thease, but if someone could tell me a bit on them that would help ( sorry I ask for so much help), I also have seen that people say you need to wash them in salt water and you use table salt is this like the normal salt you use on food? ( what brand is best? We have the Morton iodized salt) And how would you apply it/clean it? Again sorry for so many questions just health for obvious reasons concerns me a lot. Thanks for taking time to help a new rat lover out! Like I said I am a bit new and have very little knowledge so any help or info is very welcomed!

Lung infections are the most common illnesses. It's important to get to a vet asap and get them on the proper meds. Baytril/enrofloxacin and doxy or baytril and zithromax are the best meds in this case.
Tumours are common in females but if you have them spayed, there will be less chance of tumours.
Bladder infections, cancer, severe ear infections, pituitary tumours, cysts, abscesses, sprained legs, hind end degeneration.

about abscesses - no, don't wait, have them sit with you and hold warm damp compresses on the abscess as often and for as long as you can to bring the gunk to the surface more quickly. When it opens, gently sqeeze out as much gunk as you can and irrigate the hole by gently flushing it with a large syringe filled with saline (1 tsp any-brand regular salt in 2 cups warm water). Do this at least once a day. and you don't want it to scab over until it's healed because abscesses need to heal from the inside out so no gook gets trapped inside..
Also, it's called porphyrin, not porthylan (just in case you try to google it) ;)

Back