Went from litter box trained to rebels

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmyRatties

Hello,

So I just posted on the habitat part forum to ask questions about their home ( http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31764 ) and now I'm posting here to ask about some behavioral changes.

So I got the boys November 3, 2014 when they were between 4-6 weeks old. I then got them a martin cage and a little set up and also got a litter box. Simple mini storage container with cozy and fresh litter. They used it right away and were extremely good about peeing and pooping in it. Sometimes if they got scared I'd find a piece of poop outside the cage but nothing major. And I would change their bed about every 3-4 days (depending on cleanliness) and they would maybe have a mini pile of 3-5 pieces of poop in their little wood house. Really i'll say they were remarkably gifted at using the litter box. especially because they were originally living as feeder rats so in a glass tank where you pooped and peed where you could.

So before thanksgiving break (November 26, 2014) I noticed that Plumpkin (the youngest who was about 4 weeks when I brought him home) would kind of tinkle when we would play. I think when he would get excited a little would come out but he wouldn't flat out pee all over the place. And neither of them pooped unless scared (or playing too hard but I'd usually rush them to their litter box. And they were great about running into the cage to use it and then would come right back out).

On November 26, 2014 I brought them home for the holiday. Rudy had been diagnosed with ringworm (and me too, the joys!) and we had a vet visit before heading home. I set up their cage like I had when they were in college and everything seemed well. I took them out regularly like I had and they didn't seem to mind the new surrounds too much and would come and play with me. We have an indoor cat and with ringworm we tried to have as little contact as possible but Charlie loves my room and would come in. Plumpkin seemed to be the most afraid of him and when meeting him for the first time (in my hands) rushed back into the cage and didn't want to come out at all.

I left November 30, 2014 to finish up the last two weeks of the semester. Mom was in charge of taking care of them and didn't let them out too much because of the worry of ringworm passing to the rest of our animals. She also started changing the bedding of their cage every day because they were pooping and peeing in their bed. She used clorox wipes to clean the pan where as in college I used seven generation all purpose cleaner.
Now i'm back home and they really are peeing and pooping all over their bed. They're good about not pooping outside but still they've practically given up on litter box usage.

Another difference is in college my room is between 69-71 degrees. Where as here at home mom keeps the temperature at 66 and my room is on the end of the house so I have windows on two of my walls so it stays pretty cool. I got a heater but mom will open my door and the heater isn't on all the time so its usually only warmer when I'm home and in my room. I didn't know if maybe it being so cold that they would just prefer using the bathroom in their bed so they don't have to get out.

So all and all could it be that they're 2-2.5 months old and they're just starting to pee and poop all over the place because they're mini rebels or could it be the change in environment, the chemicals, and the fact that now Charlie (our cat) is in my room and they're nervous? Any help would be nice because i hate that they don't use their little box anymore :/ And i want to make sure that its not because of something I'm doing wrong.

Here's some pictures of their cage

I originally had the litter box right at the bottom of the ramp so it would be there when they needed to use it. But they started using the bathroom under the ramp so I moved it there and then they started going to the bathroom beside the ramp. So I don't know if they no longer like their litter because its cold due to the temperature in the house? Or am i just being crazy lol
IMG_0137_zpsf8269d71.jpg

Mom had moved their wood house to the top shelf where I usually kept it on the middle one. I moved it back down today so that they would be closer to their litter box at least.
IMG_0136_zps13641f4c.jpg

I want to put more things in their cage (why I posted on the habitat forum) but at the moment its really just two beds my shirt, food and water, a toy, and their litter box
IMG_0135_zpsa0c5187c.jpg

And their whole cage. The two toys on the top are ferret toys they sometimes go in when they're out but they much prefer going in my closest than staying out for too long. I usually keep Charlie (our cat) out when they're out. He doesn't bother them but sometimes when they see him they get nervous.
IMG_0134_zps88da2716.jpg

Back