Weird! Pimple on tail?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blytherue

Today when hanging out with Blintz and Badger, my new guys, I was petting Blintz, the nakie and when I ran my hand down his tail I felt a bump...So then I got a look at it and I was thinking it looked more than anything like a blackhead, a black dot with whiteish skin around it. So I gently squeezed it and all the junk came out. Luckily I must have been gentle enough cause I didn't even get a squeak of protest. And then I found another smaller one, and squeezed that one out too. Has anyone else ever seen this? Is this a nakie thing? It's all the more confusing since he actually keeps his tail really clean...

Nakkies have a lot of skin issues! Haha. Could he have gotten rough with a cage mate and maybe got a little nip, and it turned into a small abscess?

They don't seem to fight from what I've seen in the week I've had them. It was just white stuff that came out, just like a blackhead, but I haven't dealt with an abcess yet, so maybe they were teensy abcesses...

Could be. And it might not be a "fight" but just playing, someone could have nicked him with a toe nail or something. I'd keep my eye on it but it doesn't sound like anything to be alarmed about to me!

Yep, I've seen these before... doesn't seem to affect them nor does it get any worse. You could try cleaning it and maybe adding polysporin to see if it will heal any. If all those do nothing, just keep an eye on it.
Ya, Nakies have loads of skin issues. Almost makes you think they shouldn't be bred, those poor things.

How much feeling to Rats have in their tails? I mean if you were able to squeeze on the pimple on it? always wondered this!

I didn't have to squeeze too hard, so I think that's why it didn't hurt, but he definitely knew I was doing something with his tail, cause he sat still for me and didn't move till I was done. I wish he could tell me lol!

LadyGray said:
Ah, so they do have SOME feeling in their tails. They never seem to notice when I touch/kiss their tails

If you have ever seen a rat with an injured tail you would know they have too much feeling in their tails. They trust you is why they don't react.

My Naked Sphynx girl "Cleopatra" (sphynx geddit? plus naked) also had a pimple, hers was on her belly though.
I found that if I just left it, it would eventually grow to a size she found uncomfortable and she was more than happy for me to squeeze it out and clean it, 2 weeks of that and it vanished completely.

The only thing I have found wierd with her, other than her fight scratches looking worse than they are (no fur to hide them), is her really high body temperature, her furry sister (a big fat husky named "dusky") far from ignoring her, simply loves to lie ontop of her and use her as a hot water bottle in bed!

Today when hanging out with Blintz and Badger, my new guys, I was petting Blintz, the nakie and when I ran my hand down his tail I felt a bump...So then I got a look at it and I was thinking it looked more than anything like a blackhead, a black dot with whiteish skin around it. So I gently squeezed it and all the junk came out. Luckily I must have been gentle enough cause I didn't even get a squeak of protest. And then I found another smaller one, and squeezed that one out too. Has anyone else ever seen this? Is this a nakie thing? It's all the more confusing since he actually keeps his tail really clean...
I actually just did with one of my much older rats. I had noticed one blackhead futen on his tail but, I went to do a warm water toothbrush tail scrub on them all and I noticed maybe 6 closer to the base. They were all different sizes. Only one of them had ooze. The others were just like human blackheads. I've had rats for years and never seen this. He's been 1/2 hairless since he matured. Puchong is a velveteen dumbo rex. I feel bad because he gave me a few squeaks but, honestly I'm sure it feels better to have those things out of him. I did warm water and toothbrush after. He was a little mad but, he's forgiven me already.
It scared me though.

Back