Weight Loss Support Thread

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I'm retiring two pairs of jeans today. When I put them on, the slip to the ground. I'm still doing good on the lifestyle change, feeling better and loving it.

I'm still on it. :)
I'm not finding it hard at all this time around. Last time I lost 30 lbs, I had set unrealistic goals and I was doing it because I thought I would be happier but when I got there, I wasn't happier and thought, to hell with this, I'm going to enjoy living and loving the food. This time around it's different. I'm really enjoying the food and the smaller portions. I guess as we get older, our body can't process as fast or as well as it used to so I'm getting the thumbs up from the tummy. That's a strong motivator. I'm enjoying healthy foods and best of all, I'm enjoying my hikes in the woods with Gypsy and Jasper. It helps to unwind and not stress.
I've lost 12 lbs so far. I'm on a roll. :)

Good work, Jorats!

I'm just back from a one-week trip to the in-laws. Before I left I'd weighed in at home and found I'd lost a total of 9 lbs.

Not only was the week at my in-laws supper stressful (arguments, family politics, etc.) but apparently there are NO restaurants that the family will go to in Regina where they serve anything I can even eat. (I'm vegetarian.) This was Extremely Distressing to me, as my husband kept insisting that we treat everyone to lunches and dinners out. So we'd pay a ridiculous amount at restaurants, and then I'd have to ask him to drop me at the grocery afterwards to that I could get something to eat, because I was hungry, and the only vegetarian option on the menu was a green salad. (even the salads there mostly have meat in them!)

So after eating nothing but salad for a few days, I got tired of being broke and hungry and cooked a few meals at my in-law's home, but still had to go to restaurants with everyone.. ughh!! Anyway, I gained weight during the stay, and got sick to my stomach. Couldn't even lie down to sleep at night because I woke up with a near-vomit-type reflux thing happening. It was just disgusting.

I couldn't be happier to be back home now and eating right again. In spite of all that, I have a few pounds to loose .. or should I say to re-loose.. but it feels very good to be back to eating healthy and NOT going to restaurants for every meal!!

The good thing, if anything, that I can tell you from all this, is that I have NO incentive to EVER deviate from my diet plan AGAIN (for a long time, anyway).

Oh wow, that's not right. Was it your in laws stressing you out? This is a reminder to me to be nicer to my sons' girlfriends. I wouldn't want them to feel that way at my place. Mat's gf is a vegetarian and I always keep something in the freezer for her when she eats over. I'm sorry it was so stressful for you. :(

Here we are in March! I'm still wrestling to stay on the plan. I'm on a few days and off a few days ever since I got back from that awful trip to Regina early February. But I refuse to totally give up...

How is everyone else doing?

I am jumping in this thread!

Started WW about a week and a half ago, and down 8 lbs already. Dreading the 0.2 / 0.3 loss weeks ahead of me, but the first two weeks are always so encouraging!

My goal: 50 lbs to my upper health weight target. And maybe a few more if I feel like it then - but first meeting the goal. That would be a huge achievement as I have always quit early in the last few years I have been trying. Hoping this time is the right time! Maybe I'll finally dare posting pictures of myself on th Shack if I stick to the plan! :giggle:

Well I was soo determined before but didnt get anywhere. thinkign of starting weight watchers thoguh! tried once before but quit... 2012 is gonna be the year :D

Yay Unepuce! The first step is to too start.
I'm still going good. I'm losing slowly though, I'm 2 lbs away from my personal goal. And then another 5 lbs away from my ideal weight.
But I'm at a point where I'm happy with my choices of food and change in diet. I will get there, when I get there. It's not a race for me anymore.

Reviving this thread...

How's everyone doing? We're already half way thru the year.. yikes! where did that time go?

I finally gave up trying to do it on my own and decided to go back to weight watchers. I entered the first meeting with a very doubtful, critical attitude, as I'd formed definite opinions about healthy/nutritious eating, and wasn't sure if the new WW (Weight Watchers) plan would comply with my beliefs. AND because I'm a vegetarian, I'd expected it would be difficult to do WW.

But what I'd found was that the way they changed the program, it fit my way of thinking AND was easier than ever to follow as a vegetarian. So I stayed. And so far I have lost over 10% of my body weight. Finally back on track! Phew!

I confess I have a special incentive... my daughter is getting married end of summer, and I want to look fabulous in her wedding pictures! I was kinda chunky in my own wedding photos.. It'll feel great to look good in hers.

Good for you ChrisK! I know, the new WW program is so easy to follow - and you must love that "all fruit and veggie for 0 points" thing! I think that's what actually kept me motivated - even if my point count is over in the evening, I still have the option for a fruit if I feel like having dessert.

For my part, I also hit my 10% body weight loss, and am closing on 50% of my goal. I'm a bit stalled though, as I am tired (what else is new) and follow the plan on radar. I started training 4 times a week instead of 3 in for the past 4 weeks, so it helps in getting some brownie points (litterally!). I was aiming to hit my 50% end of June, I think I'll revise to mid-July. No too bad, don't you think?

Unepuce said:
Good for you ChrisK! I know, the new WW program is so easy to follow - and you must love that "all fruit and veggie for 0 points" thing! I think that's what actually kept me motivated - even if my point count is over in the evening, I still have the option for a fruit if I feel like having dessert.

For my part, I also hit my 10% body weight loss, and am closing on 50% of my goal. I'm a bit stalled though, as I am tired (what else is new) and follow the plan on radar. I started training 4 times a week instead of 3 in for the past 4 weeks, so it helps in getting some brownie points (litterally!). I was aiming to hit my 50% end of June, I think I'll revise to mid-July. No too bad, don't you think?

OMG! Half way by end of June! That's really awesome! You're doing great!

And yes.. I DO really love the zero point fruits and veges. I eat a LOT of them daily, and have found that I can't consume all my points because of that.. well I could consume all my points, but if I do, I gain weight... 'cause the fruits and veges do have calories, etc..

Well... congratulations on your good work! And thanks for the support! Glad you posted. :nod:

That's awesome ChrisK.

My weight loss has taken a back seat to all my stresses in my life right now. But I plan on getting back on the wagon. Luckily I'm maintaining, I didn't exactly gain much back. Phew!

I know i'm poorly over weight, I lost my father recently 2yrs ago to a massive heartattack, alot of it was prone to him being over weight. I'm not obesse, but i am a chunk and my goal is to lose 50lbs or more. However it's hard for me to break habits, i hate to exercise but I strongly believe its my diet that's the cause for my size. Reason why I think this way is because I did once loose weight when i was 18yrs, but for several factors i was stressed, and it wasn't weight loss in a good way. I drank 3liters or more of water a day, and would eat one meal, small one. Oh yes I shed the pounds alright, but I wasn't getting nutrition, and my hair suffered for that. So I got over my stress, went back to eating, however apparently my diet isn't that good it appears. I dn't eat alot of junk food, ya I do eat meat, mostly chicken, white rice, carbs mash potatoes, but i eat plenty of veggies. I'm a sugar fanatic, i love soda and coffee, i know sugar is a big issue for me. But i've given up soda before I believe I can do it again with the right motivation.

Motivation here...and I have plenty of it, but it never seems to be enough, I'm engaged and I want to look good on my wedding day, and I lost my dad from being over weight. What more motivation do i need? But it's not easy, and honestly I wish I knew where to start for myself on proper guidelines to losing weight. I do know me and my future hubby made a promise to each other, to watch our weight together, and take a walk every evening for 30mins a day to stay healthy. He's very horrible with eating his veggies, I have no idea how im going to address that. And I figured if we're buying our own groceries, it will be easier to monitor myself because I know the fruits and veggies I love, and I tend to avoid steak unless on special occassions, and keep to light meats such as chicken or fish. Still though, where do I start when im currently am over weight...

EDK said:
I know i'm poorly over weight, I lost my father recently 2yrs ago to a massive heartattack, alot of it was prone to him being over weight. I'm not obesse, but i am a chunk and my goal is to lose 50lbs or more. However it's hard for me to break habits, i hate to exercise but I strongly believe its my diet that's the cause for my size. Reason why I think this way is because I did once loose weight when i was 18yrs, but for several factors i was stressed, and it wasn't weight loss in a good way. I drank 3liters or more of water a day, and would eat one meal, small one. Oh yes I shed the pounds alright, but I wasn't getting nutrition, and my hair suffered for that. So I got over my stress, went back to eating, however apparently my diet isn't that good it appears. I dn't eat alot of junk food, ya I do eat meat, mostly chicken, white rice, carbs mash potatoes, but i eat plenty of veggies. I'm a sugar fanatic, i love soda and coffee, i know sugar is a big issue for me. But i've given up soda before I believe I can do it again with the right motivation.

Motivation here...and I have plenty of it, but it never seems to be enough, I'm engaged and I want to look good on my wedding day, and I lost my dad from being over weight. What more motivation do i need? But it's not easy, and honestly I wish I knew where to start for myself on proper guidelines to losing weight. I do know me and my future hubby made a promise to each other, to watch our weight together, and take a walk every evening for 30mins a day to stay healthy. He's very horrible with eating his veggies, I have no idea how im going to address that. And I figured if we're buying our own groceries, it will be easier to monitor myself because I know the fruits and veggies I love, and I tend to avoid steak unless on special occassions, and keep to light meats such as chicken or fish. Still though, where do I start when im currently am over weight...

You're going to do it. You will succeed..

I truly believe that if you keep looking for the way that will work for you, you will find it. Just don't give up!

And don't forget that you already are beautiful. Just the way you are..

ChrisK said:
You're going to do it. You will succeed..

I truly believe that if you keep looking for the way that will work for you, you will find it. Just don't give up!

And don't forget that you already are beautiful. Just the way you are..

:sad3: :sad3: :sad3: :hugs: thank you so much! sometimes i just need to hear that. Even my fiance loves me for who i am, whether big or skinnny, but he personally hates too skinny hehe. But thanks so much!

interesting video

[BBvideo 450,375:3vpfq8bk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdqLB6bTuQ&list=PLFBF1D066DA5A1525&index=9[/BBvideo:3vpfq8bk]

Thanks for posting that video. I'm a big fan of Forks Over Knives and am always glad to find more info on this kind of stuff!

Well, here we are January again... I lost some weight from last year but not all of it. I have another 10 pounds to go, and I have weeks of bad eating here and there before I get back on track.. mostly emotional eating, but sometimes it's a sugar thing.

Anyone else still fighting the good fight with me?

I'm pretty much still where I'm at but much healthier and I am losing weight but doing it slowly which is fine with me.

Forks Over Knives literally pushed me from being a vegetarian to being veganish. I won't call myself vegan because sadly, vegan now holds a bad rep. I will not knowingly eat anything with animal products.
So now, I'm more into being healthier. August 1st, I became veganish. 5 months later, I no longer get daily tension headaches, I no longer have irritable bowel syndrome, I no longer have lower back pains... and my knees, I can run again. Last year at this time, I was not allowed to run or do any impact exercise. Yesterday, I ran with my dog with no pain. This to me was a miracle. I have been having knee pains since 2004.
So losing weight to me is no longer important. It's staying healthy. I'm still working on cutting out pop and salty snacks.
Overall, I'm much happier and much healthier regardless of the fact that I could still lose another 10 lbs.

jorats said:
Forks Over Knives literally pushed me from being a vegetarian to being veganish.

Congratulations! This is really awesome!

I also made the leap to vegan last year, after about 4 years of begin vegetarian. For me it was in September, after a discussion I had with a volunteer during a visit to Farm Sanctuary in New York that did it. And I'm very happy with going vegan overall. For me, though, it's a process, and one of the things I still do consume is various forms of sugar, so I still have a sugar addiction at this point. But I hope to get a grip on that this year, and maybe lose those last 10 pounds in the process.... before it becomes the last 15 pounds! haha!

Back