We have rat pups!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NecroMade

I just got back home from the pet store and I noticed Snakebait has had one of her pups! I guess she’s having them now then OoO

I went out to get some paper bedding to mix in with her aspen shavings for better nest making, and lo and behold there was a little pink jellybean next to her, squeaking up a storm!

I’ll keep this updated as she has more, hopefully everything will go smoothly!

UPDATE 1:
snakebaitbabies.jpg

I managed to snag a quick pic of some of the little pups, still not sure how many there are but she seems to be done now! As far as I can tell everything went well!

UPDATE 2:
As of right now, there are 9 babies! Mostly pink, with one dark gray one? That one worries me, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a newborn rat not be pink? If I can manage to get a picture of it I will. It doesn’t seem to be moving as much as the others but that could be because it was stuck on its back...

UPDATE 3:
There are now 8 healthy baby rats! It seems the dark gray baby didn't make it and mama did what mama rats do. She seems very willing to let me handle the babies, something I tested when she accidentally dragged a few little ones out of the nest, lol.
snakebaitbabies2.jpg

Most of them seem to have pink eyes, but there are a couple dark eyed babies in the mix as well! I'm very excited to see what they all wind up looking like!

Also, I added in some of the new paper litter, though Snakebait is more interested in using it to build a mountain at the cage door instead of adding it to the nest. XD

Last edited:
It took a while for my mama rat to be done having babies so don't be surprised if there are more. Most mama rats don't mind you touching the babies so you could count them if you want after testing her comfortability with you doing so by maybe gently putting your hand in the cage or lifting her off of them. Some mamas may be aggressive and bite but most will trust you with the babies if they trusted you before.

It took a while for my mama rat to be done having babies so don't be surprised if there are more. Most mama rats don't mind you touching the babies so you could count them if you want after testing her comfortability with you doing so by maybe gently putting your hand in the cage or lifting her off of them. Some mamas may be aggressive and bite but most will trust you with the babies if they trusted you before.
She’s very trusting for me to have just gotten her a few days ago, so I may try handling her a bit tomorrow just to check on her and try and count the babies! I’ll probably continue updating this thread as things develop!

Last edited:
Any updates?
I had seen another thread of yours and had seen you had a newer member to join Skeever (love the names).
My Virus is in quarantine and looking like a purchased preggo, so I'm really eager to know if you have any more updates and progress to share!!
(Love the cute little milk bands, by the way! Too cute!)

Back