Want Senior Rat Companion

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trosit

I've tried the Toronto Humane Society and All Critters page. Even have an ad on Kijiji. But no responses so far and we're worried about our little girl. She lost her sister about 2 weeks ago and has been depressed. Still eating and mobile and so very healthy for her age but we sense her distraught. We caught her crying in her sleep today. We have an infant now and we can't take her out as often as we should - maybe 20 minutes a day.

Please please please, if you know of anyone who has an oldie, preferably in the same situation, we're willing to rent a car to travel just out of Toronto to get Pheobe a friend. Just to spend at least a few months with her. She is 2 year 9 months but acts young for her age.

We have 2 large cages so we can put them in either room with us, good food, treats, chew toys, hammocks and hidies galore... we love and have loved our babies well.

At her age, grieving would show as being quiet and withdrawn...crying in her sleep sounds a lot more like your old lady has a respiratory infection lurking. Can you hold her sides to your ear and listen to her breathing (once she stops wiggling). it should be silent or just a gentle whoosh of air in and out.
33 months old is a great age but they often just sleep a lot, so getting her out 30 mins a day should be fine just interact with her in the cage a little more, treats, pats etc are good

Thank you so much for your reply. If that's the case then she is very happy being a solo rat - queen of her castle I guess =_= She for sure has energy, come to the bars to say "pay attention to me", and arranges several hangout sleep spots. I'm glad we don't have to feel so guilty about our lack of out time. I'll just keep bringing her out to help her groom, and my partner does a good petting session. She definitely gets spoiled with nibbles from our human meals everyday, especially left over baby food ^^;

I'll check on her breathing as soon as I get home today.

Last edited:
Back