Waiting for Virus' pregnancy quarantine to end so we know!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virus'n'Plague

Hi folks.
I'm new to the Rat Shack but a lot of the comforting and useful tips I find always lead back to you amazing people!! So I joined and figured I would add my voice!

I recently decided to add some females to my little rattie friends. My 4 boys have their own hutch are growing rapidly and playfully. Some are learning a few tricks and so far two are successfully litter trained. It's been such a thrill that I decided to add some females to a hutch of their own. However since then have come to learn how common purchased pet shop females are (my males were selected from feeders as kind of a rescue mission and every day they make me glad I did!) So I immediately placed my females (purchased at 7 weeks old) in a more easily monitored bin cage.
Virus not only sky rocketed ahead of Zombie and Plague size wise, but gained a belly to match.
Now I'm aware that young rats will gain a pot belly when improving from the pet store diet, but as of the last 2 days, shes mostly slept and started isolating herself from Zombie and Plague. Zombie and Plague are still the same size to each other and Virus (who started the same size) just looks like a healthy giant now to them lol. So I've moved the other two to their own temporary cage complete with a fun tube maze while they still fit comfortably....
Usually shes VERY affectionate and cradles my fingers and licks my hands and comes to her name already ..... but about 36 hours ago, Virus' nesting started and she wants nothing to do with me, not even for some scrambled eggs or low fat wet cat food or her berries and oats soaked in soy milk. The nesting is in waves though. Sometimes she seems frantic about it, sometimes she doesnt seem to care and just buried herself a crater in the bedding.
November 11th will be day 23 since getting her (got her on the 19th of October) .... so really just waiting to see if we are in the clear of babies, or a vet appt is required. She seems healthy otherwise. And very clever!
I've added some pictures, from first getting her to now. Shes choosing not to be held so I'm trying to give her some space but she may let me take different ones if needed if anyone has a different opinion. Im still 50/50 if I think she is or isnt. The quarantine is mostly just to be sure. (Virus is black, Zombie is brown and Plague is the merle)
20181022_230051.jpg
20181101_160306.jpg
20181101_160351.jpg
20181102_022636.jpg
20181102_022649.jpg
20181101_205501.jpg
20181103_001418.jpg

Hello! They are all very cute! If she’s not pregnant I would make sure she’s pooping as she could have megacolon or some other internal issue. This is a bit sad but I saved a bunch of rats and one of them didn’t make it because the previous kid taking care of them didn’t realize what was going on and I got there too late. He was very swollen and looked pregnant even tho he was a boy. Just something to watch out for! I hope she’s healthy and all goes well!

I've been monitoring her poop and her eating, drinking, peeing and pooping all seems consistent and normal. I'm hoping just tubby. Shes the only of the three girls to show.
There is ONE vet here in town who will handle rats so hes on standby :)
You've had experienced with 'poor start' rats - anything else you think I should watch for?

I've been monitoring her poop and her eating, drinking, peeing and pooping all seems consistent and normal. I'm hoping just tubby. Shes the only of the three girls to show.
There is ONE vet here in town who will handle rats so hes on standby :)
You've had experienced with 'poor start' rats - anything else you think I should watch for?

Just continue to monitor her eating and pooping and general health as you have been doing :) I really have no experience with pregnant rats but I’m sure someone else in the forum will have great tips. If it goes on for much longer I would take her to the one vet just to be safe as if she’s that swollen and not pregnant it could be something quite serious. You should know soon as I think rats give birth after weeks! Again I’m no expert on the subject. Definitely try to read up on baby rats and rats giving birth and all the issues that could arise. Best of luck! Hope someone can give you more useful tips for your tubby girl!

Last edited:
Oh exactly like you said. I've done a ton of research on rats pregnancies and birth and what to expect since noticing her weight (and i suck ... no scale) but trying to limit that research to specifically YOUNG rats is frustrating. I did find two cases of 5 week olds that got preggers and they didnt look far off from her (round but not the huge preggo bellies I see most) but comparing photos is difficult.
I got her on the 19th, so sunday should be day 23. The vet will be a day or two after that if no pups :)
I will try to add a recent photo or two.
20181104_121405.jpg

20181104_122028.jpg

^ the second picture is why I'm not convinced. It's hard to see through the plastic bin, but the belly is still there, just less pronounced.... by a bit.
The other two young mamas I saw were similar - stretched out they looked so normal and pudgy in a healthy way.
Not knowing for sure is the worst part but shes only 10 weeks this week so I'm prepared if she is, mostly (still a first timer in new territory) and fine with her not being and with a vet ready if she isnt. Shes only 10 weeks, so im more concerned about her health than anything :(

Awww yeah I’m sure it’s pretty scary just know that you’re doing your best! It seems to me like she’s in good hands :) since you’ve done your research and are prepared to take her to the vet. I’m not sure but I think some rats show more than others when pregnant so it’s probably kinda tricky to tell sometimes? If she has little ratty babies I’d love to see an update on them and how they’re doing!

Oh, I'll keep you updated! I couldnt believe how grasped by some of the threads on here I got and had to see the end! Haha
Virus has a really affectionate nature. She cuddles and licks and runs to see anyone who peeks on her. I havent been worried about making her feel creeped on cuz she races over and willingly jumps into my hand when she wants out. She thinks shes a dog, I swear haha.
We did manage to get her to "stand up" for some of her scrambled egg and counted 4 noticeable teat dots and to lesser noticable ones higher up, but she hasnt plucked them or anything. I'm still 50 50 <- and going bonkers over it lmao.
Down to a 6 day countdown!

Oh, I'll keep you updated! I couldnt believe how grasped by some of the threads on here I got and had to see the end! Haha
Virus has a really affectionate nature. She cuddles and licks and runs to see anyone who peeks on her. I havent been worried about making her feel creeped on cuz she races over and willingly jumps into my hand when she wants out. She thinks shes a dog, I swear haha.
We did manage to get her to "stand up" for some of her scrambled egg and counted 4 noticeable teat dots and to lesser noticable ones higher up, but she hasnt plucked them or anything. I'm still 50 50 <- and going bonkers over it lmao.
Down to a 6 day countdown!

Yeah I’m kinda obsessed too! I’ve learned a lot that’s for sure haha. She sounds lovely, rats are the sweetest creatures. I hope the mystery is solved soon and she’s healthy :) hope more people can give an opinion and help you out!

Well thanks for your company and tidbits so far! Having anyone to talk to for any kind of encouragement or a different perspective or just to enjoy it with is rather stress diffusing on its own! I appreciate it!

Well thanks for your company and tidbits so far! Having anyone to talk to for any kind of encouragement or a different perspective or just to enjoy it with is rather stress diffusing on its own! I appreciate it!

Anytime! Best of luck from my ratties to yours! Glad I could help even a little bit :)

Attachments

• D05D88FA-2B25-489F-9725-137EDE59CA05.jpeg
    D05D88FA-2B25-489F-9725-137EDE59CA05.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 145
She doesn't look pregnant to me, so it sounds like you are in the clear :)

From the pics you posted they look like they are different ages. Older babies grow crazy fast but pregnancy bellies show up in the last week of the pregnancy and yours just looks like a young baby girl belly :)

Baby Lilith when I first stared suspecting.
Lilithaug11.jpg~original

Day before birth

Lilith2aug13.jpg~original

I figured spending some time in a birthing bin would be my best route as a safe way. I'm hoping chubby too.
Well to be honest, hoping anything other than health concerns.
But shes expanding at a high rate and is not on a very heavy diet (though receives protein just in case. Rather be prepared than not). Its frustrating. I've also discovered rats can have false pregnancies haha. So really could be a number of reasons for the sudden blow up.
This was a picture I did for comparison in case a vet appt is needed (but she gives me no reason to believe shes not healthy)

20181105_202958.jpg

I've been reading that. I've finally had a chance to poke around some old threads. I'm going to buy a scale from down the road RIGHT NOW. I will post once I have her weight.
Is there an AVERAGE weight for a 10 week old rat? Is there a ranged difference between quick juvie growth and pregnancy gain?

I got her at 7 weeks. Shes 10 weeks this week. I've read that young rats can get through it and be ok but I'm worried of her age. That's why I admit I could just be paranoid too lol.

K, running to the store before they close. I will let you know!

Ok, so .... I weighed all 7 of my ratties, and the numbers are roughly sensible for my boys, but then the girls are all over and WAY under what I'm researching!

BOYS:
Joker (4 mths) 277g
Riddler (4 mths) 241g
Jekyll (3.5 mths) 301g (he steals food when he can)
Hyde (3.5 mths) 224g (has always been the runt of the 4 and is super picky about his treats. He loves his veggies lol)

Now, the GIRLS:
Virus (believed to be 9/10 wks this week) came in at 118g
Zombie (believed to be 7/8 wks this week and was brought home with a (now cleared) respiratory congestion) 73g
Plague (believed to be 7/8 weeks) 80g

So these girls weight seem WAAAY under .... or I did it wrong?
Plague was skinny when I selected her - she almost looked boney along her spine. Shes spiked fast and started a pudge but it's already smoothing out. Zombie I assumed seems tiny because she was sick when I selected her and since bringing her home, our wonderful vet helped clear her breathing and now shes a chatter box whips starting to find her hop lol.
But all three of their weights seem ridiculously low from what I've managed to find through google so what the hell did I do wrong? They are all loving, playful and alert girls who wrestle and snuggle just fine with each other (Virus gets her playtime with them when she asks to come out but is in her own bin for now and sometimes wants to be left alone - which she shows by merely ignoring me when I place my hand down in the middle of the bin)

They all look younger than their "believed to be" ages from your pics and ages.

I'm going to look at the pics again for comparison now that I have weights to give you estimated ages.

Your minky girl above is very young. Maybe 7-8 weeks old? The others by their weights are small 5 weekers, but may be 6 weeks of age.

This was baby Teefs at 7-8 weeks of age
Sep%209%2015%20Teef%20dangling.jpg~original

Sep%209%2015%20Teef%202.jpg~original

Those girls all look similar.
Teefs looks similar to Plague size wise to her timeline and Virus came separate and before her. Virus looks closer to the other girls minus the belly. Plague was very underweight and Zombie was and stayed so much smaller for so long that we even wondered the likelihood of her being a mouse mixed in haha. Shes far too heavy for a mouse now and is looking more rattie by the day but Zombie was also sick and after treatment seems to be catching up nicely. Virus is older than the others and definitely was not a fuzzy or little when I got her.

Plague for sure has the pot belly but she doesnt have me in question. Zombie is just in her own world but is in love with both the other girls and LOVES a good pocket to snooze in lol
Virus is the oddball.
At this point, I feel prepared for babies SHOULD they happen, and plan to keep as many as I can (the boys are getting an expansion to their hutch anyways and the girls will get the same design next week).
And should she NOT have babies, I'll be glad she didnt have to go through a young pregnancy. She came from a store that didnt separate though, as she was supposed to be sold as a feeder (all of my ratties except Plague were).

Back