Vets in Portland, Maine area?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattdad

I recently moved to the Portland area and I currently have four rats. I have a list of recommended vets from MRR, the rat adoption agency I use, but I'm looking for anyone who has particularly good/bad experiences with vets in the area. I took one of my rats to Yarmouth vet and though they advertise themselves as taking care of rats, I wasn't impressed with the vet and I don't think he knew very much about rats. (I also don't like their policy of letting dog and cat owners in with the animal being euthanized, but not rat owners... a definite second class citizen vibe there. One of my rats is three years old and in poor health, and so I brought him in for a physical exam, so if he were to take a sudden turn towards ill health I wouldn't have to bring him to an emergency hospital.) I don't mind driving a bit for a good vet.

I recently moved to the Portland area and I currently have four rats. I have a list of recommended vets from MRR, the rat adoption agency I use, but I'm looking for anyone who has particularly good/bad experiences with vets in the area. I took one of my rats to Yarmouth vet and though they advertise themselves as taking care of rats, I wasn't impressed with the vet and I don't think he knew very much about rats. (I also don't like their policy of letting dog and cat owners in with the animal being euthanized, but not rat owners... a definite second class citizen vibe there. One of my rats is three years old and in poor health, and so I brought him in for a physical exam, so if he were to take a sudden turn towards ill health I wouldn't have to bring him to an emergency hospital.) I don't mind driving a bit for a good vet.
That's an odd one, I've brought my girl to the Yarmouth vet after my normal vet was closed(it's probably farther out than you'd want because I'm not in Portland) and they took excellent care of her and would put her down if that's what needed to happen so I'm not sure what happened with your experience, as for other vets in the area there aren't too many exotics around here unfortunately but I hope you find a good fit for your rats !

Back