Vet thinks Epilepsy!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talulla

Hi, I've posted numeros times here about my rat Nifti, 17 month old, that has always seamd a bit off compared to her sister.
Well, after bringing her to an new vet he thinks she could have epilepsy.
After the first visit we gave her some antibiotic and antiflammatory medicine just to eliminate the possibility that it could be an infection. This seamd to help but after one week off meds she hed an other episode (as we are now calling them) where she would go sit in a corner, a bit of puffed fur and eyes squinting. Before the antibiotic she always had a lot of phorphirin araond her eyes, but this time none. Never the less, I took her in to to e TC scann. They should have done the whole body but due to a miscomunication between vets they only did the head area, witch came out clean.
Ok, at this point we think, maby it's just a fluke and go home somewhat relived.
Than today, douring freeroam I fine her limp and compleately pancaked in her cage so mutch so that I am able to pick her up and lay her on the sofa with no resistance from her. Douring this she seamd a bit wormer than usual. So I call my vet and sending him the videos of her and he respondes saing it coud be epilepsy.
I have very little to no experience with epilepsy so I really don't know what to think especially because she has no convulsions and ramanes responsive douring her episodes, even if less so.
If it really is epilepsy or something similar, she coud have had this her whole life and coud be why I always had the fealing she never was a 100%
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Epilepsy causes seizures... My dog has it- what this sounds like to me is an URI- when it comes to treating them you really want them on medication for two weeks at the very least to insure its gone. From what you've described it seems like your baby is very sick at the moment, the puffed fur and squinty eyes are a clear sign she isn't feeling well.

I too was thinking URI in the beginning but that usually causes noisy breathing and/or sounds from the chest, but nither me nor the 3 different vets I've taken her too have ever found any sings.
I'm bringing her in again tomorrow to see what's going on, hopefully we finde something this time because I'm starting to feal like I'm chasing a ghost...
thanks for replying so fast.

Back