Vet fund

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

la_marée_haute

Well once I had researched almost all there is to know about pet rats and their care, I realised that like any other animals, they'd need the vets. I told my mum (who at first had the "It's just a rat" approach) and she said she couldn't afford vet care for anymore pets. Wah!!! :(

I don't have a part time job and don't have the time for it. The only little money that I earn is my allowance of $10 AUD a week. (That hasn't changed since I was about 10, and I'm almost 17, lol. But it's fair; our family isn't exactly rich and I don't exactly act like a house cleaner...) I've actually decided to turn that into a rodent fund. I currently have 4 pet shop mice and I'm getting two lovely boy ratties from a breeder in a month.

I'm just looking for... I don't know, maybe some advice? Reassurance? I realise that it's not much money, but I give myself credit by saying that it sure is better than nothing. Right?

I just don't want to be an irresponsible rat owner. (Or... "carer", since I think that fits better with the philosophy that the rats own us! :p) I want to do what's best for them, within my means.

So far I've done all my research. I've organised to get a big cage which will arrive soon, I'm going to be giving them a good diet (it's the Dapper Rat diet but the dry mix is modified majorly; I've added heaps of other goodies), they'll be getting a tonne of love, care and attention from me. I don't want t let them down with vet care. :( I've found a lovely doc. who, although isn't a rodent expert, certainly knows a thing or two (she's been caring for my pet mice since I was a kid, and she's very very caring and understanding with them, whereas a lot of other vets around here would feel like their time is being wasted with a mouse) and I'm sure she'll be delighted to see my boys. But, it's just the money that could let me down. I'm not sure if it'll be enough. Anything could go wrong in the future.

So... yeah. I'm a bit iffy. Excuse me for rambling. I guess I just needed to have a vent of the concerned kind.

Any sort of response is appreciated, but not necessary. :oops:

I would recommend getting a part time job. Most likely you won't run into trouble for at least a year, if luck is on your side but all kinds of things can happen.
What is the cost for a vet exam there?

A vet fund is a very good thing to have. Even if you are only starting out with a little, keep saving that's the best I can tell you. :D

I keep tabs on my bank account knowing full well some of it is getting used for the rats in emergencies/surgeries/etc. In the states our surgeries can run from $100 for a tumor removal to upwards of $300 for a spay. Just to give you an idea.

*Edited for my own spelling issues.

I didn't keep a fund, so when mine went ill first time, we lived on rice and potatoes for a month, vets are REALLY expensive even if its a small animall, so I highly recommend a fund. Wouldn't get an animal knowing I had no money for vet-care in case something happend, imagine how horrible it'll be to say to the vet 'sorry, I haven't got the money for treatment so she has to be pts' - that happens regularly around here to some people :(

jorats - Didn't I say that I don't have the time for a part time job? Sorry if I left that out, but I was meant to say it. :oops:

So, yup, I just don't. Giving up all of my pocket money is my best bet for the moment. If it's not good enough, then I guess I'll consider not getting my dear ratties.

Bati - I realise that a vet fund is good, heck it's great compared to some people, I just wasn't sure if I was being irresponsible in getting rats while only receiving $10 AU a week. It'll definitely add up to something (and my mum said that when a time comes, she'd pitch in for me as much as she could anyway - she just can't pay for it all, understandably with our situation), but I wasn't sure if it was just... not great enough.

mamarat2 - Thank you for your response. :D My family has been telling me the same thing, that saving is the trick, even if it's only a bit of moolah a week. Lol.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice etc so far. Much appreciated. :wink:

EDIT
jorats - Oops, vet exam cost. Well it varys so much from office to office, but when I went to my vet a few weeks ago for my mice, it cost $30 for a consultation. :roll: Which I think is a lot in general, but I'm not comparing it to any other vet so it might not be too bad. I can almost guarantee however that my particular vetenarian will give me a discount if I ever had to have a surgery or something expensive like that. She always does. Mainly because she's a friend of ours, and partially because I'm a kid with no money. Lol.

It's never much of a difference but it's something.

I'm still not sure about it all though. I'm definitely not sure. I could just hope that they stay healthy for at least a year so I can save up the money? But that to me sounds exactly like what I don't want to be: Irresponsible. But I wants these boys more than anything.

I really needed this vent, evidently. Lol.

I would definately put the money you get, save every bit you can. I haven't spent that much on my girls but back a month or so ago I spent $89. Fortunately I got an amazing deal, with everything they quoted me I could have spent up over $200 but they gave me a deal. They charge $48 for a consult. You seem to have a vet you trust and that's great.
Maybe you could make a deal with your parents, if you do extra stuff, wash dishes every night, do laundry or whatever maybe they will give you a little more because it's something that saves them time.

I know what it's like to not have time to get a job. It's hard.

LA said:
I would definately put the money you get, save every bit you can. I haven't spent that much on my girls but back a month or so ago I spent $89. Fortunately I got an amazing deal, with everything they quoted me I could have spent up over $200 but they gave me a deal. They charge $48 for a consult. You seem to have a vet you trust and that's great.
Maybe you could make a deal with your parents, if you do extra stuff, wash dishes every night, do laundry or whatever maybe they will give you a little more because it's something that saves them time.

I know what it's like to not have time to get a job. It's hard.
Thank you, LA. :)

I've actually already asked about raising my allowance, but we're poor. Lol. My mum cannot afford it. And I'm not going to bug her about that. We're almost struggling. :?

Haha, believe me, I do plan on saving every bit of money that I can. It's the best I can do so I may as well do it.

Hmmm. *Sighs* Who knew that pet rats would be so hard, eh? Definitely worth it, but still hard. I'm glad I've been researching for so long. It makes me sad too, though. Ignorance is bliss. I've never realised how many little ratties there would be out there who have awful, neglectful boring and lonely lives. Intentional or unintentional :roll:.

It'd be great if we could save them all.

*Edited for spelling*

Yeah it is hard. I chose rats because they are cheaper to take care of then dogs or cats. But they do have vet bills. Not a lot of people realize this. Good luck.

When I first got my girls, between cages, toys, stuff for their cage, vet bills, etc.. I had spent well over $500 within a couple of months. Their vet bills alone were the majority of that amount. I've since found a great vet who charges me great prices for things, but even that adds up. These days, I can't get out of there without having spent atleast $50, about once to twice a month. I've been very lucky that there haven't been any major illnesses or injuries in the time I've had my girls, but I've seen some people have to hand over huge amounts for emergency situations..

While I totally understand the want to get them, and get them right now, it may be an idea for you to wait a while. See if you can get a part time job, or something around your neighborhood. Small yard work, dog walking, baby sitting, etc.. If none of that pans out, you'll atleast have been able to save your allowance for a long enough time that you'll have a real fund going. During that time, you can spend a little money on stocking up on all the things you need, like toys, hammocks, that sort of thing..

While I totally understand the want to get them, and get them right now, it may be an idea for you to wait a while. See if you can get a part time job, or something around your neighborhood. Small yard work, dog walking, baby sitting, etc.. If none of that pans out, you'll atleast have been able to save your allowance for a long enough time that you'll have a real fund going. During that time, you can spend a little money on stocking up on all the things you need, like toys, hammocks, that sort of thing..
Firstly, I can't get a job. Any sort of job. As I've said clearly. Second of all, I have a cage, many toys, and many hammocks. They didn't cost me a cent, and they never will. I don't see why I'd go an buy all of the fancy stuff when I can easily make it all. :roll:

That's not important, I know, lol. I just wanted to point it out.

And also, about waiting a while... I've waited a very very long time for these rats. I didn't rush into it. Not at all. I started researching 2 years ago, and found a breeder about 7 months ago.

I guess that's irrellivant also. :lol: I'm just replying to a lot of the things that you said. I'm a pretty good rambler.

I had spent well over $500 within a couple of months. Their vet bills alone were the majority of that amount.
:? $500 US in a few months? I don't spend that in one year. On anything. Lol. I've spent about $40 on my rats so far including food. And to be honest, even though it can certainly happen, I doubt that in the first few months that I get my boys I'll be needing to go to the vets. Statistically, I truly doubt it. It's possible, but........ unless I was getting them from a pet store, and was planning on feeding them hamster mix and putting them in a 10 gallon tank without any out time, I don't realistically see myself facing major problems in the first few months. That's just my opinion though. Maybe I'm naive.

Anyway, I asked, you answered! Thank you very much. I'm so sorry if I sound snappy at all. :oops: That's just me.

It probably would be wise for me to wait a while. I'll certainly admit that! But, here's the petty, annoying factor within that proposed plan... I have already picked out my rats and have known them since birth. :shock: Yes, I could get the breeder to hold onto them for me, but by the time -with my $10 a week allowance- that I save up enough to cover any vet costs for the future... half of their lives will be gone. That'd suck. No?

This is where I am at a loss.

While this thread has been going, I've been talking to my mother about it, and she thinks my allowance money will be fine and that I shouldn't think so far into this, but then again you guys are the rat experts. I suppose that doesn't mean you know more about vet bills or money than my mum, LOL, but you know more about rats and their health care evidently.

Well, anyway, I don't really need this thread anymore. I've got the info. The advice has been very helpful and now I just need some time to think about everything. :wink:

Thanks to all.

Just an FYI, $500 in a few months (U.S) is very conceivable for rats. My martins cage in and of itself costs about $100 with shipping, and that has no doubt gone up; then there the first time you get them and it is best to have them checked out by a vet appt $50 (that is lowballing too); then you have any emergency issues - resp infec and eye things really need immediate care, besides if you have a girl and they get a uterine infection which usually calls for a spay asap. Emergency visits can run anywhere from $80-300 and then some depending on what it is.

Then there is the normal meds you may need to buy to keep rats healthy - baytril/doxy just as an example may run you $25-50. Need to buy them toys or at the very least some kind of bedding and make your own "cheap" toys (cardboard boxes etc).

Not trying to talk you out of it in any way, just want to give you a bit of perspective on the situation.

My first two rats cost me $1100 together in vet bills by the time they passed away. They were very sick girls. And hopefully you won't have that bad of luck.... but I would definitely want to know that I at least have access to get a couple hundred dollars to cover vet bills.

There would be nothing worse than having a rat sick with a respiratory infection or pneumonia, and having your mom say "it's just a rat" and having to watch it die. :(

At the very least, you should have enough money to humanely euthanize an animal.

To me 10$ would be much to small - I had the chance to take money from our food-budget, but if you have no budget to take emergency-money from, I'd say 10$ is just not enough (have no idea of vet-bills in Australia, but mine is atleast 20$ for a simple visit)

I got 4 young girls Oct 3. Shouldn't have problems for a while, right? Well, one was making a little noise in the beginning. It didn't go away so I treated her with baytril, had it on hand so no cost. Oct 22 she was still making noise, saw the vet and got more baytril $60.16. After another round of baytril she got worse than ever Nov 19 - vet exam & baytril $50.99. And she will be getting another med added in the next couple days, it'll be $40 or more.
Total in a month and a half - $150 - so far. For one girl, and a young one at that.
By the way, I'm in the same boat with limited funds, I'm on handicapped welfare so nothing to spare... I save every gst cheque to their fund and anything else I can manage to save. It's not easy...

La_Maree_Haute is getting her rats from a breeder, and if she's a good breeder those rats should be guaranteed with some degree of health.
So this could mean that she'll have some time to save before she'll need to use her vet fund. Although getting a rat from a breeder is not full proof for health, it's a start.

The rat that cost the most (or hypothetically would have) was Cody and she was the only one to come from a breeder. She had a lot of tumors. :( The pet store rats died suddenly after relatively long lives.

That does bring us back to wondering about how good the breeder was, but on the upside she was healthy the first three years of her life and an absolute sweetheart.

There are other ways to come across money... if you wanted to become more of a house-cleaner, at least you could collect up all the spare change from pockets and the couch cusions. I say this quite seriously... rolling up your change can yield more money than you realize!

I think if you save very very diligently, you can do it. But seeing that you are working with a very small amount of money, you need to be super-serious about it, just in case. And keep your eyes open for any extra way to save up cash, of course!

OK. You're all telling me what I already know. :shock: And you're all making me feel like an uneducated idiot. Do I sound like one? I don't get this.

* Someone mentioned a cage and toys. I'll will be getting more than one large cage for FREE and I have a lot of toys already, which cost me zilch.

* A vet check-up one I get the rats - The breeder will be doing that for me before I receive them.

jorats - That is true about their health. This is a respected, registered, SERIOUS breeder I'm talking about here. She knows I don't have much money either, and she is doing all that is possible to save me from heartbreak, and money loss. Including giving me the rats for free, giving me lots of toys and extras for them, and making sure that they're in top health. Gentically and physically.

Fidget - First of all, I don't understand why you're telling me your story so bluntly as to give me some sort of reality check or something. I realise all of the possible costs! Thank you!

Bati - You're saying this when you don't even know how much I've got saved already. Or our situation, or my family's willingness to help. You can have your opinion about the $10 thing, but don't tell me straight up that it's not enough, because you don't know all of the facts.

Lise - Who said I didn't haven't enough money to pts my animals? Who said that my mum currently thinks that they're just rats? My mum has gotten many many mice euthanised over the years without me paying at all. I don't see that what you saying that has to do with me saving up some money for vet visits. One is confused.

mamarat2 - I know it's conceivable. I said that. But I'm not going to go around telling my family that this will probably be the case, nor am I going to get paranoid about not having $500 in the first few months of rat ownership....... I understand you're just trying to make me aware, but I AM aware. I'm still allowed to say that I have my doubts that it will actually be MY case, don't I? :? And I already have many many toys, and as I said, I have more than one cage. All for free. ;)

I don't know what else to say. I hate the way this thread is going. Yes, you're all being polite and trying to help, but that doesn't mean that I don't feel like you all think I'm a d*ckhead right now. I know everything that everyone has said. I thought I made that clear. Even though I know, doesn't mean that I'm going to start worrying my arse off about having to spent thousands on vet bills for my healthy pet rats in the first few months. That is ridiculous and I wouldn't bother getting these rats if I was so paranoid.

Thank you everyone, but this thread is making me very upset. I'm sensitive. I apologise for not being very mature, but I can't honestly stand everyone hounding me (even if it's in a nice and helpful way :!:... there are still people saying this, and saying that, and acting like I should know this. I'm not 12 and getting one pet rat from a pet store and putting it in a hamster cage. I'd like a little bit of credit.). I am not going to act like I can take it. *Shrugs*

jorats, Bronwyn and moon - I appreciate your comments very much. LOL I appreciate everyone's comments and advice, but yours' were the only responses that didn't make me tear-up and feel like... um... *places cone hat on head*

I AM really sorry to everyone if this reply isn't the most mature, or willing one that has ever been posted. That really is just me though. It doesn't take much to make me upset or offended. This is a great forum! It's just me that's the problem here. I can't handle much critisism.

I'd really like to stop discussing this now if that's okay. :)

*Edited for spelling*

I think people are only trying to describe their experiences with what they have gone through. Not saying you don't know at all, but just trying to help.

Obviously you have thought long and hard, and as you said you obviously have money saved up... that's none of our business what you have. Like I said before a lot of people are attracted to rodents because of how cheap they are.

I think we've all said what we must. In your heart you know what's right to do (no I am not trying to make you feel bad I am just saying you know your circumstances so only you can make the decision). Good luck.

Back