Very smelly (sticky?) poo

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHart12

Hi all, I am new to the forum.

I have two 5 month old boys and until now they have been perfectly fine, totally healthy no problems.

Around a day or two ago, we noticed their poo was smellier than usual. When we went to clean them yesterday, we noticed that it was softer, very light brown and very sticky almost? And very, very smelly. Normally the boys just kind of have musky rat smell that isn't any bother at all. They are in a large cozy pets wire cage so there is a huge amount of ventilation.

Already this morning they've pooed everywhere and the smell coming into the room this morning was unbearable.

They haven't had any change in their diet. Since this started I have stopped giving them any soft/fresh foods and kept them on their regular dry foods but so far no difference. I have seen mention of probiotics on other forums but I am not sure whether or not to try that or not.

They do run around the flat (with us of course) so I am just worried they might have picked something up off the floor maybe?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

I would go around looking at what they might have ingested. Their poops shouldn't change for no reason like that. Hopefully they will get it out of their system fast. For now, I would feed them only rat blocks and nothing else.

Back