Very sad about my rat relationship, any ideas?!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KitN

Hi all,

So my cutie girl Tai is the sweetest, most loving girl ever, and is totally trusting. She's always the first to run over the moment she sees me, and during free roam just seems most interested in climbing my leg or hanging out on my shoulder/trying to crawl down my ear.

Last night they were all out for free roaming, and as I moved to stand up, she flipped around and I accidentally caught the end of her tail under my knee. She screamed bloody murder and ran off to the other end of the room.

I tried to apologise all night but she wasn't having any of it. This morning I swear she actually turned her back on me when I opened the cage. I tried bribing her with food and she'll take it, but won't sit on my hand to eat any more.

Am very sad! Any suggestions as to how to repair the relationship?!

(P.S...her tail is fine, I checked it out immediately and kept an eye on it all night, then took her to the vet this morning just in case.)

She's happy to take a treat if I go to her, but won't come to me for one any more. I usually go to see them around midday, open up the cage and say a quick hello...today she looked up when I came in, and turned around in her bed so I could only see her back!

She's still ok with me picking her up or stroking her, but doesn't come over for cuddles anymore - I have to go to her. Am hoping it's only a temporary thing and she'll be ok soon...how long does a rat hold a grudge?!

She's happy to take a treat if I go to her, but won't come to me for one any more. I usually go to see them around midday, open up the cage and say a quick hello...today she looked up when I came in, and turned around in her bed so I could only see her back!

She's still ok with me picking her up or stroking her, but doesn't come over for cuddles anymore - I have to go to her. Am hoping it's only a temporary thing and she'll be ok soon...how long does a rat hold a grudge?!
I heard that true dwarf rats hold it forever, but they're skittish. Happened to me twice, so I put a bunch of coconut oil all over the end of the tail, that's what worked. Or honey?

Back