very nervous babies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster1128

hm so I have had my baby girls about a week now and they are still very nervous about me I have been petting and cleaning the cage so they smell me and see I am good I leave the bowl to put food in so they smell me and see me I just bought them a exercise ball so they can run around they are super fast so im nervous to take them out to long they still don't want treats from me so I offer and then place it in the bowl. im just not sure I am doing the right things? they are still so scared they always scurry under the water bottle or to a corner or try to bury under there bedding. :sad3:

Babies can be very skittish if they've come from a scary past environment. Maybe you could do the Tshirt bonding trick that jorats recommends: wear a sweatshirt over a Tshirt (long sleeves on both), and put the little ratties under the sweatshirt, to run around and get used to you. With luck, they will get comfortable soon. The Tshirt is to stop their little claws from scratching your skin.

yes they were feeder rats i just offered some grapes and she refused tto take it but i put it down and she ate it :( i only have tshirts and sweatshirts buts thats ok i dont mind just dont want anyone biting

They are not going to JUST bite you.

Rats hate being trapped so I'd advise against the exercise balls. Jorats' method was good, or you can just put them on your shoulder. They're also not going to JUST jump off.

ik they wont just bite and if they don't like being trapped then why does sticking them in shirt not going to make them upset? I feel like that's trapping them they have no socialization at all and they seem to like there ball and shock seems to be very possessive of static she will run over and sit ontop of her.

Rats like to be protected from being in the open. They won't feel trapped under your sweatshirt, because they can move around.

A scared rat can jump. Skittish babies are a worry, because they move like greased lightning. You will probably take them out in a place where it's safe if they run loose.

they are so fast that's what my worry is and i have base board heat so when i did take them to the bathroom and was trying to pay attention to both they kept hiding under it i don't want them to get burned or to sneak out under it

Maybe give them something else to hide in. An empty Kleenex box with the side taken out is a fave with my rats. If there is something from their cage they would feel safe because of familiarity. One of my favorite out-time toys is the ferret tunnel (about $12 from www.martinscages.com). It stretches up to 20', and little rats love to zoom through it. They feel safe because it's a tunnel, but you can see them. Even after all these years I giggle watching them run through it. The older ones waddle, which is also pretty cute.

yes i saw them at petco actually yesterday i just put my hand in and it felt good when they actully came over to investigate i also put my sweatshirt sleeve over my hand its one that i wear to work every day so it smells like me but maybe food to so they did try to nibble but it was nice that they came over to me this time and not just ran and hid under there water bottle or a corner

Don't worry if they are still nervous. They need to learn it's safe in their new home, and they need to get to know you. I too would not put them in a ball to run around - it tends to scare them.
Maybe you can stuff something under the radiator in the bathroom so that they can't get under there, and as suggested, put something else for them to hide in like a Kleenex box. They will get comfortable the fastest if you handle them a lot, and that means having them out with you. That's why a small room is good. After a little while, they will start to trust you, and will hang out with you in your sweat shirt or on your shoulder. Then you won't need to confine yourself to a small room.

Rilence said:
Jorats' method was good, or you can just put them on your shoulder. They're also not going to JUST jump off.
I have had rats panic and jump and run blindly, so there is always potential, especially with new rats who are unfamiliar with the home and person.

I am dealing with 16 babies just like this. Hand food is the best thing to help them like you. I tried all the hand foods we had and it all failed with these babies, they were not socialized at all. Tonight I tried pudding and i got babies that licked me that wouldnt even look at me yesterday. Tomorrow i am getting some yogurt that is a bit better than some pudding but try stuff you can dip your finger in but stay away from peanut butter or sticky item slike that. The most social rats i have are ones that would hand wrestle with me, I intend for these babies to do it. so try to play with them, wiggle a piece of toilet paper round and so on. Once you get that happening, you will have the most social rats in the world.

I can see the difference in the babies that are now full grown and ones i take in. when these babies were born here we played with them daily and it shows they are all social as can be....the ones i take in are so scared it isnt funny but if you keep it up, you will end up with best friends.

the problem is is that they will not take food from me i offer it but they sniff and run away if i leave it in the bowl they will take it though but earlier when i put my hand in i put my sweatshirt over it just in case shock got upset she gets very upset and protective of static they both came right over and sniffer and nibbled and then left

Sounds like they are getting a little less scared. They will just need more time.

I once fostered some little ones who had been kept above a snake tank. A cat used to jump up and peer into their tiny hamster cage. Those poor little rats were so terrified that they would hang like bats from under corners of the back of the cage. Eventually they calmed down and became trusting.

yea these guys are from a pet store most likely awaiting to be a snakes next meal i was going to get a couple from someone close by who had a litter but they were so cute i couldnt help it. i just get nervous after what happened with the first one i took home i think. hopefully they can come out soon id really like to clean that cage they are starting to stink even though i scooped it up but i cant trust them out on there own yet

We have had one of those babies that would take food. Last night we had almost all of them licking our hands. I would try to get something on your fingers, yogurt usually works well as a bribe. I do that and make the clicking noise so they know that means treat. Every other rat i own knows a treat follows that noise so it will help with making sure they know the noise. Once they understand that noise means a treat they will start coming to you. You could even try dipping your fingers in a drink to see if they will lick it. THey are not used to you hands so you have to make them like your hands. Food smeared fingers will help with that.

Back