Veggies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Can someone tell me what veggies are safe to give everyday/almost everyday? I know that lettuce, cucumber, corn, etc. Shouldn't be given everyday. Also how often should you give your ratties fruit? Since it has a lot of sugar. Thanks!

For fruits, if they ate blueberries, I gave a bit every day. Blueberries are extremely high in antioxidants which is wonderful for health. As for veggies, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, carrots, peppers, collards, spinach, dandelion leaves... all good stuff, I would put some in the cage and whatever they ate within 20 minutes, any left over is promptly removed.

For fruits, if they ate blueberries, I gave a bit every day. Blueberries are extremely high in antioxidants which is wonderful for health. As for veggies, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, carrots, peppers, collards, spinach, dandelion leaves... all good stuff, I would put some in the cage and whatever they ate within 20 minutes, any left over is promptly removed.
Thank you so much!

baby kale, cooked sweet potato, cooked squash are also important vegs to feed
small amounts of cooked beans and cooked chick peas, made from dry are healthy treats and full of good nutrients and fibre

as for fruit, it does have natural sugar but it is also full of necessary vits, etc and fibre so it is very healthy

baby kale, cooked sweet potato, cooked squash are also important vegs to feed
small amounts of cooked beans and cooked chick peas, made from dry are healthy treats and full of good nutrients and fibre

as for fruit, it does have natural sugar but it is also full of necessary vits, etc and fibre so it is very healthy
Thanks you!

of course some fruit, like blueberries, you would want to give more frequently then others

and some vegs and fruit have more pesticides then others so organic is best whenever possible and cleaning off pesticides is important

of course some fruit, like blueberries, you would want to give more frequently then others

and some vegs and fruit have more pesticides then others so organic is best whenever possible and cleaning off pesticides is important
Would it be okay if I were to freeze the blueberries or bought those frozen bags that come with different berries so that they wont go bad before I give them to my rats?

Frozen/thawed foods are good. I believe that frozen is almost as good as fresh

I buy boxes of fresh local (organic) blueberries at the farmers market in the summer and freeze it so my rats have blueberries all year ..... it is less expensive then buying store bought in the winter and this way I know where it came from and can talk to farmers about the conditions under which it was grown

Frozen/thawed foods are good. I believe that frozen is almost as good as fresh

I buy boxes of fresh local (organic) blueberries at the farmers market in the summer and freeze it so my rats have blueberries all year ..... it is less expensive then buying store bought in the winter and this way I know where it came from and can talk to farmers about the conditions under which it was grown
Thank you so much!

Back