Veggies? fruits, grains, ect.

• Thread starter creative animal lover
  • Start date
The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

creative animal lover

Sorry if the title is weird I have a few questions. First of all what are the fruits/veg/grains that your rats enjoy most or are best to feed?

And second of all why do rats need Veggies? much less fruits, grains, and everything else? If you have a good lab block like oxbow or something that is nutritionally complete are veggies necessary? I still understand that most people supplement lab blocks and I agree rats should have fresh foods I was just curious since I have heard people saying that lab blocks are " nutritionally complete" and have everything rats need. Is it just for enrichment? What is the minimum recommendation for how many veggies you should feed a week?

Thank you!

The blocks are nutritionally complete, but are highly processed food and would be boring to eat all the time.
Nutrition is better if it comes from real, unprocessed or minimally processed foods - eating food is a much better, more complete way to get the vits you need and I have read they are better absorbed from food, then taking a vit.
So rats will survive on just blocks.
To be healthy and also to lower the % of protien in their diets (even blocks with 14% protien have way too much protien for rats), rats need daily vegs
A variety of vegs in the diet is good as different vegs have different nutrition (vits, minerals, etc), variety adds different textures and different tastes.
Vegs and whole grains and seeds etc not only provide nutrition but also provide fibre
Some, but not a lot of cooked whole grains and fruit and seeds are important to have in the diet for the same reasons as daily veg. In addition, many people like to give their rats treats, and it is important to give them healthy treats such as berries or seeds instead of processed foods that contain sugar (feeds cancer), salt, preservatives, and various chemicals.

Vegs, whole grains, seeds, etc have many health benefits such as helping to prevent cancer. You do not get these benefits from processed foods, incl their blocks

The reason it is recommended to feed blocks is because no one has yet come up with a whole food diet (vegs, grains, fruit, seeds, etc) that will meet all of their nutritional needs.
Blocks are also convenient and inexpensive compared to a healthy whole food diet.
When you feed a low protien good quality block (oxbow, Harlan Teklad 2014), you know that they are getting what they need, so you do not need to worry about it and can supplement their diet as much as possible with healthy whole foods.

I give vegs once or twice a day and fruit once a day - such as a piece of ripe banana or some wild blueberries (I buy them in season and freeze so they can enjoy them all year) on cooked whole organic 12 grain cereal or oatmeal.

If you saw the way my ratties came racing to me last night to grab a piece of cooked organic corn on the cob (in season from the local farmers market) or the way they love their organic baby kale, broccoli, and organic mixed greens, organic pumpkin seeds etc you would understand what a difference real whole food makes to their quality of life.

As for veg amount, I believe that Jorats suggests to give as much as they will eat in 20 mins, and then remove the excess. As for types, well different rats like different things so you would need to offer small amounts several times to see if they like it (rats will try a tiny amount of a new food and if it does not make them ill, next time they will try a bit more) ……. they will have their favorites but will likely enjoy most types of vegs, grains, and fruit - but keep the forbidden foods list in mind.

If you are interested in nutrition:
nutritionfacts.org
http://ratfanclub.org/nutreq.html
https://cronometer.com/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550413114000655
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/dr...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I hope this info helps

And would regular farro be ok like this one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028VZEJQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20-Roland Pearled Farro. Also is anything labeled organic safe? I know especially corn can have rodent-killing pesticides and things, does organic mean non-GMO? Also, can I feed Quaker rolled oats? And can I put some in a bowl of water and microwave it to make oatmeal and add strawberries and stuff? I have been watching a bit of the Youtube channel pet Adventures and she said it can upset their stomach if you give too much-wet oatmeal and stuff, is this true? I know too much of anything is not that good though. Also what brands of tri-colored pasta is safe? I know different brands are avaliable in different places, we mainly shop at king supers. Is this pasta safe from amazon?: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NBKA6RI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20-Ingredients: semolina (wheat), durum wheat flour, carrot puree (carrot, lemon juice concentrate, water), butternut squash puree (butternut squash, lemon juice concentrate, water), niacin, iron (ferrous sulfate), thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid. contains wheat ingredients.
Also thanks to everyone who responded!

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the organic standards in your country ….. I believe the USA has weakened the standards for that certification
To my knowledge, in other countries it means nonGMO among other things

It is best to feed real food, and as little highly processed foods as possible as they are usually full of GMOs, sugar, sugar substitutes. pesticides, preservatives, and other chemicals
I believe Quaker rolled oats are GMO
I don't know anything about pearled Fearro

Instead of feeding pasta (highly processed food), why not feed cooked squash, organic carrots, organic whole grains (not instant or quick cooking grains) etc?

a good place for research based nutritional info is nutritionfacts.org

Last edited:
Check the organic standards in your country ….. I believe the USA has weakened the standards for that certification
To my knowledge, in other countries it means nonGMO among other things

It is best to feed real food, and as little highly processed foods as possible as they are usually full of GMOs, sugar, sugar substitutes. pesticides, preservatives, and other chemicals
I believe Quaker rolled oats are GMO
I don't know anything about pearled Fearro

Instead of feeding pasta (highly processed food), why not feed cooked squash, organic carrots, organic whole grains (not instant or quick cooking grains) etc?

a good place for research based nutritional info is nutritionfacts.org

I agree I think it’s much easier to feed unprocessed as there is no real question about the ingredients. However I am not the one who buys groceries and I live with my parents as I am a bit young so it makes it hard to buy specific things for rats( although I don’t own rats currently). We normally have comman stuff like blueberries, bananas, strawberries, carrots, some times cucumbers and rolled oats, but other than that we don’t commonly have things like beans and stuff.
Much less my parents shop at king supers and most of the stuff is not certified non-GMO/organic so it makes it kind of stressful when looking at what I could feed potential rats. Would it be better to feed baby food? Or like Gerber baby rice cereal mixed with water? I just find that rat diets seem hard to maintain. For example the sweet potato Gerber food’s only ingredients are sweet potato, Water, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid). Is this ok?.... it says non-gmo but does not mention the sweet potato being cooked would this be safe? Sorry if I am a bit annoying, I just want to make sure if I do get rats I am prepared aspecialy something as important as food.

Baby food is not the same as feeding real vegs.
One sweet potato is much better and less expensive then a comparable amount of baby food.
Baby food is usually given to rats that are unable to eat real food because of illness etc

If your family does not eat healthy food like squash, sweet potato etc you can buy one, cook it and freeze the cooked left overs so your rats can have it several times. One head of broccoli can be given to a couple of rats for several days. Many people give their rats the variety of daily vegs that their family is eating for meals.
One small bag of organic 12 grain cereal (that you cook) will last a couple of rats for a long time because it is not given every day

Hopefully your parents will help support your pets, because rats need blocks and daily vegs, and healthy treats.
They also have expensive vet and medical bills.
If you have not done so already, you might want to get a part time job and start saving.

Back