vegan?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raticus

im currently on the adventure of trying to become vegan. tomorrow marks my week of being vegan and i am really struggling.

i was wondering if anyone new of any good recipes or stores to get vegan food from? just any advice would be useful:crazy3:

that's a tough thing to answer, it really depends on what you are used to eating. you can try to get into it more gradually by adding more things that are vegan and gradually decreasing the meals that contain meat or animal products

what sorts of things do you like to eat? what are your favorite vegetables?

I have two favorite vegan cook books! I am vegan, too. The first one is absolutely great if you don't know how to cook even the most basic things. It's called "The Vegan Stoner Cookbook" and because it's for those who are high on weed, well, it's dumbed down a lot. You can get it off amazon. (Note: not endorsing drugs nor do I even use marijuana. I just like the cookbook).

The second is called "Vegan Junk Food" and is really amazing if you like fatty, rich, restaurant type foods. It has tons more recipes than the other, but they are a bit more complicated in general. Still, get this book if you can. The recipes are mouthwatering.

As far as grocery stores go, try looking for "natural" food stores. Though be careful, these can be smelly and weird sometimes... Also, whole foods and surprisingly hannafords are great. You can order a lot of things offline, too, like from amazon. Natural balance I believe makes a vegan box macaroni and cheese, vegan cheeze its, and probably other things too! I'm not a fan of fake cheese but I know some love it.

You'll also want to try nutritional yeast as a food additive. It adds a nutty/cheesy flavor and you can add it to creamy sauces. It has a ton of b12 in it, something vegans should supplement with one way or another.

Hope this helps!

thanks for all the help! The links are a big help! I also look into ordering the cook books! and I'm not a huge vegetable person which is a problem... I like carrots a lot tho haha!

Hi...I've been vegan for 2.5 years now and in the beginning I found it hard because I thought I had to eat all these different foods that I wasn't really into. But then I found out that all you have to do is "veganize" what you would regularly eat. For milk use almond, rice, oat, hemp, flax or soy milk. For a cheese flavour use nutritional yeast. For Parmesan, use a mix of nutritional yeast and crushed walnuts, for meat, use TVP (textured vegetable protein) or tofu, or tempeh or seitan...all are easy to make and with the right spices and marinade, you won't even notice you don't have the real thing.
If you have any questions, ask away here...there's a few of us who can help. :)
For exemple, I'll be making my macaroni dinner, with pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, mushrooms and TVP which I will marinade first in a "no beef" broth. Then you fry it in a pan and add to your macaroni. I will stir in some nutritional yeast for that yummy cheesy taste and I'm feeling adventurist so I'm going to add chopped kale and chard. Easy peasy!

To survive my transition, I taught myself to cook a lot of hearty, spiced dishes that included high amounts of protein-rich foods like beans or lentils. I've never been a big fan of substitutions, although Daiya was like a savior to me when I was falling off the wagon due to cheese cravings. Learning how to properly use Indian, Mexican, Lebanese, and Italian spices made cooking with vegetables and legumes a lot more interesting.

Vegan with a Vengeance is probably one of the best cookbooks for transitioning ever made, as it doesn't assume you know how to find or prepare most of the ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we have quite a few vegan threads already I am just going to tack my question on to this one. Hope that's okay OP.

Up until a few days ago I was using almond milk and loving it until I saw an article on FB (I think jorats posted it) about how there isn't actually many almonds in the almond milk. So my question is what type of plant milk does everyone like? I just bought a carton of organic soy milk for my smoothies and I don't mind it I'm just wondering what everyone else recommends.

I love Silk Vanilla soy creamer and Silk very vanilla soy milk. When I first became vegan I preferred the So Delicious coconut milk creamer. No idea why my tastes changed.

I tried Cashew milk, it was ok and I'd use it for cooking but prefer soy for adding to coffee and tea and the very vanilla soy milk is also great on cereal.

I don't know if it's all that healthy with the added sweeteners though lol

Have you tried the silk vanilla almond creamer? I use it to make iced coffee and it is delicious. I like the silk vanilla soy creamer too but the almond is my favourite regardless of how many almonds are in it :giggle:

I use organic soy milk.
If using soy it is important to use organic imo, to ensure you are not getting GMO
And I make sure it is unsweetened.
You can make your own milk from cashews but that would be too expensive for me.

You might want to try different things ... coconut and hemp are both supposed to be good.
And different brands taste different too.

Last edited:
I prefer almond and hazelnut milk. Almond more for general purpose and the hazelnut milk as a yummy drink on it's own. My favourite brand is Isola Bio, it's made in Italy I believe and you can find it at Whole Foods or other health food stores. It's all organic, no added sugars and vegan. They make all sorts of nut milks, rice milk, soy milk and different grain milks as well.

Have you tried the silk vanilla almond creamer? I use it to make iced coffee and it is delicious. I like the silk vanilla soy creamer too but the almond is my favourite regardless of how many almonds are in it :giggle:

I haven't been I will be soon, because I just got some. OOh I bet it is wonderful in iced coffee!

seeing all this that brings me to have a question as well.... any good vegan sausage meat thingys??? I miss those little guys.

I loved the vanilla soy silk creamer but for some reason my Superstore and walmart no longer carries it and only carries the almond one now...and to my surprise, I totally love!!!

For sausages...Field Roasts make amazing faux meats.

Back