Vaginal/Rectal Blood clot /mass here as well

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jda6rats

Thoughts :
Female - overweight Russian Dumbo, will be 4yrs old in July.
Presumed PT- Treated successfully with cabergoline for almost a year now.

Spayed at 2 months old - 2 weeks after I adopted her and her sister from a good breeder. I helped with the spay of all our adoptees over at Animal Control.
I am sure that the entire ovaries and stalks were taken out - 2 small ovaries with 1 inch long ends ( So a Y shape) Not sure if the uterus was taken, nor my anatomy that well.

I do daily body checks and this came came up Sat during day- only noticed Sat Afternoon as I was changing in new hammocks. She had a wet hind end and notably weak walking. Took her out to rinse her , assuming she had finally gotten to the incontience stage or dragged her butt through pee- and saw this dark red mass- which looked like a menstrual type blood clot, dark red shiny- it was attached so stopped rinsing her, Not sure if vaginal or rectal as in too much panic to take pics or look at it clearly. ( though after some research later that day it looked like a rectal polyp.)

Took her immediately to the closest ER with rat vets ( about hr away ) the exotic on staff was on her way out the door but looked at it and relayed via the vet I saw- saying it was rectal and with a stalk ( about the diameter of a pencil eraser head) It sounded like she was saying it was slightly prolaped rectal tissue.
( she was already on Baytril/doxy but based on her weight I had been under-dosing)

She added on Cipro , told to change bedding ( its fleece) twice daily - To call them Monday or sooner if anything changed. They would schedule surgery for Tues when the senior rat vet was in.

Late Sunday night / early Monday ( 2AM) I had her out in a towel to syringe in a 12 hr med- she's has been giving me grief over taking her meds,
my husband usually does meds and is so fast he doesn't even need to take them out of the cage but he'd been away.

Anyways- She was squirming about - being a brat and suddenly the mass burst-
8 or so poops that came immediately, The first few poops were covered in dark cherry colored blood goo - then about 5 drops of bright red blood followed. I collected it all including the shirt I had on which was bloody - Put in freezer bag and fridge for vet inspection. Placed white doggie piddle pads on clean trays in her CN so I could see if any additional bleeding was happening. None has.

Called vet Monday morning - told what happened- Asked how poop pee appetite was ect. All fine. Scheduled a long consult with possible rectal exam/ surgery yesterday (since she was doing fine and my husband would be home by then) Samples from the burst send to pathology

Vet did an very thorough 1 hr exam- Lungs eyes-ears- nose- full body check- no masses felt anywhere. * she'd gained another 15 g but I'd been hand feeding goodies, feeling badly for her. This was not a fluid gain which was my first worry.

Only thing he could see was her rectal tissue was swollen ( about double compared to her sister's who accompanied us) He agreed that she likely has PT, though it's well treated, She was doing head butting thing- the only PT symptom at this time. HED expected at this age, her sister has slight HED as well.

We talked options at great length - and decided since she looked completely fine for a rat her age other than being overweight. That rather than putting her under for a rectal exam- pulling some of the tissue out, we would wait on the Histology / Pathology report since that might give us our answer w/o having to put her under.

The swelling has resolved completely as of this afternoon. Day 6 since it started.
The bedding has been white Tshirts so I could see any bleeding or color -
Changed today ( only on the corner lining edges of the place they pee on) Possibly some very light red?? But stupid me has been gave chopped up peeled cherries and a bit of beets in their dinner the last few days.

They are both overweight - we lost 3 cage mates at Xmas I've had 4-7 for so long now and its been hard for me to figure what 2 rats should getting volume wise. He did think that a diet would be in order. I find it hard to balance good elderly weight with my older gals - when they do get ill they lose weight so fast.

They have had NO CONTACT with other rats- anything that could have had rat contact is frozen for 4 days to a week before allowed in their room.
I've looked up every possible thing - Couldn't find any Pictures of what genital Myco looks like and whether it would clot like that. I did find one pic of a polyp that did look similar - couldn't find out anywhere whether they can burst?

UC Davis has a paper out that shows slide of possible things that I send to the vet. I attached it as I thought it was a useful article.
There is something called Tizzers disease that could match but the fact that it was really only 24 hrs that it was there has me stumped.
My guesses are Polyps , some sort of tumor , parasites, Abscess, genital myco infection, Uterine Horn infection? Skin staph infection and Tyzzer’s Disease.

Any thoughts ?

Mom of Wiggles and T-
Past pals : Heart rat Sophia, Nikka, Junebug, Bango, Bear, Gigi, Lola, Molly, Dobby, Leia and Harper.

Oh - one more question - I recently found out that the dose for Doxy has been doubled to 5 mg/lb So I wanted to double check doses My math sucks

We had been compounded the dreaded doxy dog tablets -
The lady who send me the new dose chart told me a better way to compound it but I still don't trust the dose accuracy when I have filtered so much of the red power coating off - Therefore I asked for an RX DOXY from ER vet

her weight is 560g ( so roughly 1.25 lbs)
Doxy RXed 50mg/ML solution
Give 0.11 ml BID REFRIGERATE no expiration date

1) Does that come close to the new suggested dose of doxy is 5mg/ per lb
* messes me up, as we have switch to metric system and the literature is per lb

2) My understanding was doxy was only good for 2 weeks? Is that only with the solutions we compound ourselves? IE does RX vet version last longer ??

Clavamox ( started day 1 of mass) 62.5mg/ML give 0.2ml BID
REFRIGERATE good for 10- 14 days .

Baytril compounded from 10% solution DO NOT REFRIGERATE

The new literature sheet states that you don't have to compound but can give straight from bottle based on weight ( which they list)
mix with whatever tasty the little food critics like at the moment.
Do not give anytime near anything acidic Ie Fruit juices , peaches etc Her dose would be 0.08

3) My understanding of baytril 10% was that it's highly caustic, so we have been compounding it forever , my husband worked our some formula I don't understand - but the total in 0.1ml is supposed to be 15mg/kg the high end dose they get 0.125 ml BIS

Anyone know if its safe to not dilute further? The chart came from a very reputable source, But I'm just not sure about that one. Completely onboard with higher doxy dose and safety there.

We get our cabergoline compounded through Diamondback in AZ- They do the math . so it comes out to 0.1ml daily .We dose 1/3rd the suggested every 72 hrs literature dose BUT DAILY - which I've found key.
The every 72 hrs just never worked for us.
I'm getting PT rats to live a really long time.

I know a number of you here are math wizards

Doses look okay ??

Oh - one more question - I recently found out that the dose for Doxy has been doubled to 5 mg/lb So I wanted to double check doses My math sucks

We had been compounded the dreaded doxy dog tablets -
The lady who send me the new dose chart told me a better way to compound it but I still don't trust the dose accuracy when I have filtered so much of the red power coating off - Therefore I asked for an RX DOXY from ER vet

her weight is 560g ( so roughly 1.25 lbs)
Doxy RXed 50mg/ML solution
Give 0.11 ml BID REFRIGERATE no expiration date

1) Does that come close to the new suggested dose of doxy is 5mg/ per lb
* messes me up, as we have switch to metric system and the literature is per lb

2) My understanding was doxy was only good for 2 weeks? Is that only with the solutions we compound ourselves? IE does RX vet version last longer ??

Clavamox ( started day 1 of mass) 62.5mg/ML give 0.2ml BID
REFRIGERATE good for 10- 14 days .

Baytril compounded from 10% solution DO NOT REFRIGERATE

The new literature sheet states that you don't have to compound but can give straight from bottle based on weight ( which they list)
mix with whatever tasty the little food critics like at the moment.
Do not give anytime near anything acidic Ie Fruit juices , peaches etc Her dose would be 0.08

3) My understanding of baytril 10% was that it's highly caustic, so we have been compounding it forever , my husband worked our some formula I don't understand - but the total in 0.1ml is supposed to be 15mg/kg the high end dose they get 0.125 ml BIS

Anyone know if its safe to not dilute further? The chart came from a very reputable source, But I'm just not sure about that one. Completely onboard with higher doxy dose and safety there.

We get our cabergoline compounded through Diamondback in AZ- They do the math . so it comes out to 0.1ml daily .We dose 1/3rd the suggested every 72 hrs literature dose BUT DAILY - which I've found key.
The every 72 hrs just never worked for us.
I'm getting PT rats to live a really long time.

I know a number of you here are math wizards

Doses look okay ??

Didn't your vet give you the proper doses?
Doxy that is 50 mg/ml, dosing at 5 mg/lb would be 10 mg/kg roughly...so weight x dose / concentration. .0560 x 10 / 50 =.11 So that dose is correct.

I'm not sure how stable doxy is for how long when compounding it at home. I don't use doxy.
I get all my meds already compounded from my vet so I'm a little lost in your numbers. Hopefully someone else will reply.
I'm confused that your vet did an awesome thorough examination but didn't give you the proper dosing of each med.

1 of my first 2 rats died at 14 months from myco, which was a vets mistake with medication dose. Why I'm so paranoid and triple check.

The only meds they RXed us was the doxy which you said is correct
and clavamox - when I tried the math looks like correct and that they are dosing at 10mg/kg one of the doses listed on RMCA.

Baytril - my husband compounds the 10% baytril - and was doing our doxy but the capsules became impossible to find . We have had a heck of a time making the solution w/ doxy dog tablets w/ red sugar coating?

Anyone having success w/ making that version of doxy?

Cabergoline - Diamondback Drugs compounds based on weight and the dose we want to give is 0.1ml * much easier to syringe that amount
- they have the published rat article - only thing we asked for is the dose to be a daily dose so we give 0.2 mg SID , which equals the 72 hr dose ( 0.6 mg/kg or [0.27 mg/lb], PO, q 72 hr

I tried the 72 hr dose and found by end of day 2 , symptoms would reappear, the vet agreed it made sense with rats metabolism being so high , that daily dose 1/3 of the 72 hr dose was fine, plus he witnessed my first 2 PT females decline towards the end of the72 hr dosing and stay sable dosing daily. I think when I did all the PT research that they dosing daily in the UK.

My regular, serious stuff vet has documented our results and we are getting great results. I believe the key is early DX - cab for life daily and " a vet that believes that PT is the most common cause of tumors- IE the main driver of mammary tumors, and even if spayed the main cause of death in 2 plus yr olds. He is very liberal with RX ing this drug, since we've had no bad side effects and great results in many rats now. He's actually more comfortable RXing this that steroids. Which has also been my exp. however, daily dosing was key.

I'm glad he's documenting it and it will be either available or published. Every interesting! We had a handful of rats treated with bromocriptine with no success. The cabergoline was simply too expensive at the time.

If there is anyway that I can help the my fellow Canadians with making Carb easier to get in Canada let me know - I'm willing to make a call to where we get it affordable for a small amount of rat a tats- I certainly will-
And am also willing to lend anyone w/ vet assumed PT close to me a weeks worth while you get your source figured out .

An Update on Little Tia - The pathology on her mass came in - Its an was an idiopathic ( unknown reasons) Benign hematoma that they believe might have been a rectal polyp . Since she has recovered completely the vet and I agree that putting an almost 4 yr old under for an exam at this point is too risky. So monitoring and keeping fleece daily pan covering cleaning up, Boosting her immunity with some extra supplements and increasing her fiber - decreasing snacks to lose some of her extra weight, as much as I'm comfortable with. With seniors I struggle with knowing that in general lean is good but when they get sick- The skinner rats we have had seemed to pass much quicker. Our oldest Harper was almost 2 lbs - HUGE his entire life yet never had any tumors or any resp issues at all- Just age related HED which he lived with for almost 2 yrs just fine.

Still debating whether low fat / protein or high fat/ protein and low carb diet is i order as it wasn't cancer - need to do some research on colon health in general .

Happy for our gal but still very saddened by the sudden loss of beautiful Addie from similar symptoms. My heart goes out to her mommy , family and cagemates.
Hugs J

Last edited:
Rats need their energy source to come from carbs. Doing a low carb diet is not advisable. Also, it's been shown that rats optimal protein intake should be very low even under 10%. You can find the studies in The China Study by Dr. Campbell.

Thanks Jorats.

we have used that as a general feeding guide with all the rats - I was just thinking out loud regarding cancer diet treatments where they show data that carb's feed tumors. since Tia doesn't have cancer we are sticking with her reg senior diet,
soaked rat blocks , organic grains, fruits , vegs ect low protein w Occasionally snack of dried seaweed from Trader Joe's which they love.

They can't manage the organic non cooked pasta snack anymore. But do get cooked pasta, quinioa, and other grains. Usually soaked and cooked in half water half either almond milk or chicken broth. Does that sound appropriate ?

I'm reading this book by the Dr. Greger How Not To Die and in one area, it show that rats fed broccoli managed cancer better. So maybe add broccoli to their diet. I sure did.

oh you are so awesome- I hate broccolli but had read the anti -cancer parts of that and we ( gag) have all been having it on a reg basis. Interesting that the rats always eat theirs and I struggle getting mine down- Now Kale , Chard, Greens and spinach - we all love. That and coconut milk

Back