Vaginal bleeding

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhianimal

My little Misty-rat is exhibiting spotty bleeding from her vagina. She also seems to have a uri. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow first thing, but she may have had the bleeding issue for some time (we found little spots of blood in the cage but no evidence of where it came from last night, and put it down to the fact one of our girls is quite scrappy and scratchy).

The vet I'm taking her to is decent, and they are willing to listen - which is good - but I just want to be forearmed as I haven't dealt with this before.

What medication combinations have you found work best? Advice much appreciated.

could be mycoplasma, could be pyometra, could be a mass, is pregnancy possible?
she may need antibiotics and a spay (after her uri is better) by a good vet with the knowledge and experience to do it safely
here is some info
http://ratguide.com/health/reproductive/pyometra.php

suggest clavamox (in case it is a secondary infection) plus baytril (in case it is myco)
baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib) orally, twice a day for at least 4 to 6 weeks is good for myco

Hopefully lilspaz68 will respond .... I messaged her

Last edited:
Thanks SQ. I suspected pyo. She's been booked in for a spay, and is on a cocktail of drugs (metacam, enrobactin and others).

Back