Quantcast

Vaginal Bleeding after LRI - How likely could be cancer? Do I qualify for pet insurance?

Help Support Rat Shack Forum:

MN Rat Pack

Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2020
Messages
14
Location
Minnesota
Hello! Poor Violet has had quite the year. She started with Pneumonia a few months ago, then a Lower Respiratory Infection in December, and this week I noticed some red discharge or blood around the cage clearly coming from her vaginal opening. She also had myco flaring for her first year before I realized what was going on. I started up her antibiotics again (doxy and enfro) for a few days with no improvements yet. She visited the vet again yesterday. We will continue with the antibiotics plus EOD prednisone. The LRI is improving quite a bit with just a bit of noise with the stethoscope. Hoping it will be bacterial and clear up!

Next step would be Xray for cancer. How likely do you think that option is? Is it too late to sign up for pet insurance? That would be about $300 plus surgery. I've been unemployed much of 2020 but am determined to do all I can for my girl.

I'm not new to rats but these are my first females and I've never had such unhealthy rats. Sadly, these were also my first rats from a breeder... so not a good experience. Her sister Daisy died a very traumatic death (like the worst death I've ever seen or heard of) earlier this summer. I can't help but think all these issues were due to the pine bedding at the breeders and perhaps poor breeding. If you are located in Minnesota - please message me. I don't want to slam anyone on the internet.
 

MN Rat Pack

Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2020
Messages
14
Location
Minnesota
give the antibiotics a week to rule out genital myco flareup and if it helps then treat as long as you would with a respiratory myco flareup
It worked! Phew! She was really chipper for about a week after her course finished. However, for the last two days she’s been not wanting to go or hawking for treats. No other symptoms. Could it be coming back again? have you experienced recurring infections and how can I get on top of it? She’s been to the vet like four times in the last four months and done three or four rounds of antibiotics and prednisone.

Don’t worry I am in contact with the vet and waiting for their response.
 
Top