UTI treatment

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Loesje has an UTI and the vet has prescribed Sulfatrim 16+80 mg/ml 0.25 ml BID for 8 days.

This the first time that she has an UTI.

I noticed her urine being red/brown last night. She also seems to be warmer than normal and might have some trouble urinating.

She weighs 450 grams.

Is this treatment correct?

Edit: So far she is not taking it at all... Must taste awful.

Attachments

• 20211125_195604.jpg
    20211125_195604.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
The vet has prescribed Baytril because I was not succeeding in giving Loesje the Sulfatrim, but the Baytril did not help and now I am going to give Clavamox / Synulox.

What dosage should I use? 20 - 30 mg/kg? If it does not help after a couple of days I am going to make an appointment with the specialized vet.

The material from Loesje her bladder looked like pus and a mass was visible on the X-ray photos of her lungs.

Edit:

Urine culture result

Citrobacter freundii , 100.000 bact/ml

Resistant to: amoxicillin-clavulanate, ampi-/amoxicillin, 1st generation cephalosporins.

Intermediate resistance to: fluoroquinolones.

Sensitive to: 3rd generation cephalosporins, nitrofurantoin, trimethoprim-sulfa.

I have a new appointment next Monday and the vet wants to prescribe Sulfatrim, but she said that Sulfatrim will not help for lung abscesses.

She said that the dosages for 3rd generation cephalosporins and nitrofurantoin are not known for rats and that it would be necessary to do blood work.

Attachments

• 20220107_181923.jpg
    20220107_181923.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Back