URI getting worse...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Approximately 2 years old. He is female (although I say "he"), but still has lost a lot of weight recently. (~50g, down from a lifetime average of 250g)

Yes he had an attack last week but I think that was due to dehydration- which allowed the mucous to thicken? He lost his appetite about a week or two ago and stopped eating and drinking his normal amount. He had that attack maybe 4 or 5 days ago. Since I have been feeding him baby food with water added, the attacks have happened less. It sometimes happens while I am feeding- some food will clog something while he swallows- and then today they started back up again.

Also been giving nebulizer treatments. Also been giving pred. I really don't know which of the three things helped most, if at all.

Today again he is breathing slower. And having more attacks.

I am hoping that slower breathing is good. What could it mean other than more lung space available?

Here is his breathing side by side from yesterday and Friday.

And here he is yesterday having an attack.

Today his breathing has slowed way down. Like under 100. The attacks are more frequent.

What treatments should I be looking at?

your poor lady is even worse. There's too much congestion and she's having those open mouth attacks trying to clear the congestion and get air in. Steroids can help a little but only in opening her airways rather than reducing that congestion. I think you are getting close to the end of the road with your beauty. :(

But why is he breathing slower?

If he was breathing twice as fast all this last month- like 150 to 180- and then recently he starts breathing a whole lot slower- like 85 yesterday- but does not appear hypoxic or cyanotic, how is this possible?

What is going on in his lungs?

Only options I can think of-

A) the nebulizer medicine is working and his lungs are clearing of the myco gunk, and he is trying to expel it, hence the attacks; and he is breathing slower because he has more lung space available now...

or

B) he is suddenly able to adapt to his physiology to use significantly less oxygen?!?

or

C) his previous higher breathing rate was due to something other than the increased need for oxygen, and was physiologically unnecessary the whole time

Option B/C just doesn't make as much sense to me...

_

Also, what will happen next, assuming it is something other than first option?

And what treatments should I be asking for to help him breathe better- Lasix? Something else?

Last edited:
Have you tried meloxicam? Its an anti-inflammatory. So it could help open his nasal passages so the nebulizer treatments could be more effective.

I tried that before the pred. It did not seem to help with the congestion.

He has now been on lasix for two days- the congestion has all but gone away; it comes back a bit when the lasix wears off, but his breathing is nearly silent when it is working. It seems to be causing dehydration and bloating however.

Of course now he has suddenly developed a distaste for his other meds. The zithro which once did not bother him is now so problematic that he will hold it in his mouth and then try to wipe it on my shirt rather than swallow it. He used to gobble it down with no problem.

At least he is not choking on fluid and panicking anymore.

Are you giving him the meds straight or mixing it with something? I've always mixed my meds with coconut yogurt because it seemed to help my rattos tummy that way. Plus it gives them some hydration as well.

How is the neck swelling doing? Has it gone down at all?

I always mix them with strawberry ensure. Its really odd because he used to grab the syringe with his paws and try to pull it out of my hands when I tried to remove it- but now he hates the taste.

The only thing I can think of is that I have been spoiling him lately, letting him eat whatever he wants, so he will gain weight; after eating hamburger, ice cream, mayonnaise, and everything else, I suppose nasty medical ensure is no longer a treat.

The lumps have not gone down at all :(

Sometimes if something they love gives them a tummy ache, they'll avoid it in the future(even if they absolutely loved it before). Also, if he's bloating, he could have come to associate the yummy food with the discomfort. I used to have to alternate between flavored mixers so my rats wouldn't catch on. You can try changing flavors to see if he'll take to it again.

I'm sorry about the lumps :/ thats just so strange. I hope that the swelling goes down as the congestion improves.

Back