URI Antibiotics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratbabylady

Hi all,

So three of my girls are back on Tetracycline and Enrofloxacin (I think, it could also be Doxy but I just got off the phone w the vet and dont remember which one of the two, definitely Enrofloxacin). I wanted to know if anyone had luck giving their rats their meds with food. I know that dairy is a no go, but what about applesauce or something like that? I am trying not to have to orally inject my girls with their meds every 12 hours indefinitely if possible.

thank you in advance. It has been a really hard couple of months. We have been at the vet so much that the techs recognize my phone number.

I'm pretty sure giving meds with food is one of the most common ways to give meds. I was advised by lilspaz68 to use some type of sweet syrup. Applesauce might work, but I don't think it'll cover up the taste of the meds very well.

Hi all,

So three of my girls are back on Tetracycline and Enrofloxacin (I think, it could also be Doxy but I just got off the phone w the vet and dont remember which one of the two, definitely Enrofloxacin). I wanted to know if anyone had luck giving their rats their meds with food. I know that dairy is a no go, but what about applesauce or something like that? I am trying not to have to orally inject my girls with their meds every 12 hours indefinitely if possible.

thank you in advance. It has been a really hard couple of months. We have been at the vet so much that the techs recognize my phone number.
I use Greenmax hot cereal or my homemade custard. I take a half teaspoon of it and mix the antibiotic into it and make sure I feed them when they are hungry so they take it all. This means sometimes withholding food. The 12 hour cycle is a bit of a pain but it's doable. Once they eat it all I give them more of the treat to eliminate the taste in their mouth and feed them as normal.

Back