Urgent :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokiandskwis

My 3 month old rat Toki has been acting very out of character tonight. Its 10:30pm here and he is usually up and running around and ready to come out his cage and play with his brother, but tonight he is just lazing around, he doesnt want any of his favourite treats and he is acting completely different to normal :( Ive been trying to check if his breathing is laboured or anything like that and he doesnt seem much different to his brother who is acting normal. There is an emergency after hours vet which I will take him to if I have to but I dont want to put him through the stress of that unless its necessary. I'm really worried about him, he is usually out going and social :( Could he just be tired or do I have reason for concern? Please help I dont think I will get any sleep tonight :S

My 3 month old rat Toki has been acting very out of character tonight. Its 10:30pm here and he is usually up and running around and ready to come out his cage and play with his brother, but tonight he is just lazing around, he doesnt want any of his favourite treats and he is acting completely different to normal :( Ive been trying to check if his breathing is laboured or anything like that and he doesnt seem much different to his brother who is acting normal. There is an emergency after hours vet which I will take him to if I have to but I dont want to put him through the stress of that unless its necessary. I'm really worried about him, he is usually out going and social :( Could he just be tired or do I have reason for concern? Please help I dont think I will get any sleep tonight :S

When you rat phone him (hold his sides to your ear and listten to his breathing, 2 hands like a phone)...what do you hear? Any crackles, roughness, gurgling or a wheeze? Check both sides.

Im not able to rat phone him because he is new (not even two weeks yet) and he is still very cautious of being touched/held so he wriggles too much. But I have been sitting by his cage, close, listening very carefully, and I am fairly certain I can hear a very faint "snotty" sound every 5 breaths or so :'( I am so upset. Should I take him to the vet now? Or wait until tomorrow?

Wait til tomorrow...e-vets often don't know enough about rats to diagnose and help them correctly. Is your vet a decent rat vet? Will give you antibiotics (hopefully baytril at least but best paired with something else for at least 2 weeks?)

I have never taken them to vet before Ive only had them two weeks. I will be taking them to only exotic vet in my area, they have very good testamonials and have info about rat care on their site which is promising. (its all correct ) my poor Toki, hes so young and ive done everything to prevent this. Life is so cruel.

I have never taken them to vet before Ive only had them two weeks. I will be taking them to only exotic vet in my area, they have very good testamonials and have info about rat care on their site which is promising. (its all correct ) my poor Toki, hes so young and ive done everything to prevent this. Life is so cruel.

Where are you located?

Back