URGENT HELP PLEASE - GASPING

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dark chocolate is a very temporary fix during a respiratory attack. Like using a puffer, opens up the airways.
If you want to carefully try steaming her to see if she starts sneezing and clearing the congestion, you could try. Be prepared to get her out of the room/steam asap if she worsens. Good signs of congestion clearing is excessive sneezing and cleaning of nose.

The dark chocolate is a very temporary fix during a respiratory attack. Like using a puffer, opens up the airways.
If you want to carefully try steaming her to see if she starts sneezing and clearing the congestion, you could try. Be prepared to get her out of the room/steam asap if she worsens. Good signs of congestion clearing is excessive sneezing and cleaning of nose.
Oh she has been sneezing and cleaning her nose a lot more often now! I feel like she is doing a bit better so I don't think I will risk streaming. I will give it a shot if her condition worsens. Thank you !

Update: She had been doing okay for two days. You could see her lungs were compromised but she was walking around happy and eating. Today I found her in respiratory distress, panicking and mouth breathing and took her to the emergency vet. Vet wasn't sure what else to do, we discussed the possibility of heart issues but vet said they really don't think that is the case. Her heart looks okay on XRay and sounds okay. Vet gave her another shot of cortisone since the first one two (or three?) days ago seemed to really help. Hopefully it does help make her a bit more stable and comfortable for a while to give the antibiotics more time to start working? Im really worried. She is my heart rat and I really don't want to loose her.

Update: She had been doing okay for two days. You could see her lungs were compromised but she was walking around happy and eating. Today I found her in respiratory distress, panicking and mouth breathing and took her to the emergency vet. Vet wasn't sure what else to do, we discussed the possibility of heart issues but vet said they really don't think that is the case. Her heart looks okay on XRay and sounds okay. Vet gave her another shot of cortisone since the first one two (or three?) days ago seemed to really help. Hopefully it does help make her a bit more stable and comfortable for a while to give the antibiotics more time to start working? Im really worried. She is my heart rat and I really don't want to loose her.
I lost my heart rat a little under a year ago, he had a mammary tumor. It was rough. I hope she is doing better.... 💕 How old is she?

I'm sorry to say this but at 2½, gasping and ifting her head to breathe and becoming frantic is the absolute last things that happen before they succumb. Please don't let her suffer the fate of suffocating and give her your final, ultimate gift of a peaceful passing.

All the things a vet can try are just prolonging the inevitable, and not for long at all. She is in respiratory distress, EOL type stuff. I'm sorry

@Rocket99 @lilspaz68 she actually improved a lot these past few days ! Hasn't been in respiratory distress since that last time I posted and seems to be breathing without an issue most of the times :) hopefully she keeps improving ! Thank you for your help !
Just something else came up, the skin or her hands is flaky and they are a little red. She is fine otherwise, not sure what could be causing this.

Back