URGENT: calling all rat lovers.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's such bull in my opinion, haha. I agree totally with you, there is no great and powerful rat lady. So many people out there are so, so knowledgeable, and spread their information and findings to others WITHOUT harming innocent animals in the process. They just aren't as well circulated because Debbie's "Fans" all seem to think she's god or something when it comes to rats.

It's such bull in my opinion, haha. I agree totally with you, there is no great and powerful rat lady. So many people out there are so, so knowledgeable, and spread their information and findings to others WITHOUT harming innocent animals in the process. They just aren't as well circulated because Debbie's "Fans" all seem to think she's god or something when it comes to rats.

yeh I don't get that, I don't get it at all. It's gotta be her non-stop self promotion... I really don't understand what kind of spell she has on people.
It makes no sense.
She's got her name all over the place, so maybe ppl assume that means something...?
yeh, it means she's totally full of herself.

There are ppl doing so much more to benefit rats in quiet unassuming ways... and with great care and respect for the lives of these animals.

Here is some more proof:
1498ndk.jpg

This is info i got online:

World of Pets Expo & Educational Experience
January 24 at 6:45pm ·
Update to our schedule for the MD show this weekend, Debbie Ducommun the Rat Lady will not be with us. You can contact us at [email protected] if you need more information.

Also:

And from WPA Humane: "Thank you for filing a complaint with the Western PA Humane Society regarding Debbie Ducommon and the medical and surgical procedures that she intends on teaching at the Pet Expo.
We would need more information regarding her hotel stay in Allegheny County, as we can only enforce PA State minimum code within Allegheny County. Anything outside of Allegheny County PA we simply do not have jurisdiction to enforce.
That said, we have been made aware that she will be in Baltimore MD (NOT Pittsburgh) for the Pet Expo on the 29th. I strongly suggest contacting Baltimore Animal Services 410-887-7297 and give them a heads up regarding this situation. If she is actually at the expo performing the procedures, they may be able to charge her with any offences of their state code.
Thank you again for looking out for those little ones without a voice."

I actually just sent a message to Jo because I saw her post a link to this forum in The Rat Fanclub Facebook page, encouraging people to come on here, make accounts, and comment on this thread. So she's trying to start a mob, basically. On this little tiny forum on the internet where it won't have any impact.

This info here is all over facebook! I am just replying it here because i know there is real rat lovers here that will speak for the rats.

And like the others said i can not imagine the horrors of her starting out omg nope.

That is a nightmare!!! I can't even imagine cutting open my own rats! Let alone doing it not having a damn clue what I doing and having someone talk me through it... I have two girls right now with huge tumors and as much as I want them gone I have no problem waiting for my liscenced and experienced vet to do it for me! Makes me squeamish just doing after care for surgeries! No way could I even consider even if I was a liscenced vet doing my own rats surgeries haha I couldn't stand it. I'd just be crying the whole time and apologizing :)

"real rat lovers" would take their pets to an experienced vet who knows what they're doing and will be doing it legally, in a sterile environment, not in a god damn hotel room. Those places are FILTHY. People who bring their rats to some random woman who claims she's better than actual licensed veterinarians and slices into them without the proper equipment, pain management, or anesthesia are cheap and don't deserve their animals.

she says she is going to "teach" someone to do surgery on her own rats in a single visit in a hotel the day before this expo...........!!!!!
omg

she's flippin insane and anyone who believes that's ok, is as well-
insane!

OMG !!! I thought she only assisted a vet during surgeries.
(Guess that shows that I don't follow her and have limited knowledge of her advice etc)

She does have years of experience and knowledge gained from this, some of which is good, much is outdated, and some is just WRONG or is animal abuse/animal cruelty!
Most people would not be able to discern the difference ..... her standards of care are also much lower then the min standards accepted by experienced & knowledgeable rat owners in Canada, the USA, and other countries.

Debbie D has been "doing" rats for a long time now and she believes in her methods and experimentations on rats in order to avoid hefty vet bills. Sadly, it appears that a lot of people agree with her. She has a few successes and losses as well but nobody talks about the losses so she's seen as a hero.
Please please please, I ask our members here do not link this thread on the RFC Facebook page in order to get new members to come and battle it out with us. That is completely childish. We don't need people coming here to call us names. We are allowed to believe that our rats are worth much more than a shady in home operation, no sterile environment, no equipment, no proper meds. Asking for help, being guided and having support is one thing but allowing a person with no vet training to operate on your rat is irresponsible. And worse yet, trying to get people to come to this forum and have a schoolyard brawl...come on. GROW UP.

Karma has no deadline Debbie docommun, lets see if you can go through surgery without any anaesthetic ??? I'd love to see that, you wouldn't feel pain would you?? You're a butcher and any rat you own should be confiscated.

Debbie D died last year
She did a lot of good things, but she also did things that were horrible.

this thread is from 2016, however, since people still follow her recommendations the info about her lack of knowledge etc is still important

Last edited:
Oh my gods! If anyone offered to operate on my babies in a hotel room and the people who are supposed to prevent animal cruelty couldn't do anything I would scream! *shudder* That is just horrifying, no meds, no training and hotel rooms are seriously disgusting, a million people have been in there and half of them were probably sick! This is probably not the most appropriate thing to say but I'm glad she's dead! Now she can't do any more harm, well except if the information in her books is inaccurate.

Oh my goodness. And I thought I was bad for giving my rats fishmox for ear infections and URI (all successes lol, I would have brought them into the vet if they didn't improve)
This was an insane thread to read! I can't believe anyone would do that.

So I did some research on this... maybe I have the wrong individual, but I found many articles saying Debbie Passed away? Unless there is a Debbie with the same exact name who also has “experience” with rats.

Personally, there's IS a LOT I can do myself, at home, instead of making get appointments for everything. But invasive surgery is NOT one of them. I understand that many tumors are simple shave, cut, remove, and close procedures, but sans local anethesia it's not at all very pleasant for the rat. And how it's even possible without sedation is beyond me, most rats would be frantically trying to escape the restraining. Anyway, Debbie was undoubtedly a rat lover at heart, but her methods were not always sound. As for this thread, how did it even start? No room for this crap in here.

I believe karma will get her in the next life. What she did was wrong. Rats are so similar to humans, why do you think scientists do testing on rats? I will always take my boys to a legitimate vet. Just because you know how, doesnt mean you should.
(I know this thread was from 2016 lol)

Shes dead, why is this post even up? BTW, if you actually DO know how to perform certain procedures, AND you do them correctly, with all the necessary equipment and materials, in a sterile environment, then why couldn't you? Isn't that what emergency surgery is about? Doesnt matter where it gets performed as long as a qualified person in a medically acceptable setting with all the proper equipment and materials is available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back