Urgent advice needed please

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucykrauza89

Hey guys! It’s been a while since I posted had a lot of stuff going on so hope you’re all well!!
I really could do with some advice urgently please!! One of my female rats Mini has got me worried and anxious, she’s displayed some worrying symptoms over the last 2-3 days she’s got her head completely tilted to one side, her eye on the side her heads tilted is bulging the other is too but nothing like the one on the tilted side. She keeps shaking like she’s vibrating for a few seconds but she doesn’t move when it happens like she’s frozen on the spot whilst she has this episode it’s scary! Without sounding daft it’s the only way I can describe that issue, I’m pretty sure she’s gone blind though as she has no clue to where I am for example, I put my hand in the cage like any other time I make them aware of my presence but, this time Mini absolutely shot out of my hand like a rocket when I picked her up like she had no idea I was there 😭. It’s the same now she and only clicks on that I’m there by smell and sound. I also did a little vision test where I waved my fingers at the side, above etc absolutely no response only when she smelt or heard me. She’s also stumbling everywhere but eating and drinking as normal and her sisters are really looking out for her. I just don’t know what to do, I’ve been trying to get her into the vets but it’s hard for me as I work 6am until 8pm and don’t drive😭I’ve managed to get her in for Monday finally but I feel so horrible I just hope she isn’t in pain. Please nobody think ill of me I constantly have her with me when I’m home I’m that worried I’ve got her cage next to my bed to keep an eye on her I’m literally having 2-3 hours of sleep a night worrying watching her so if anyone could give me any advice as to what I’m potentially dealing with I’d be forever grateful.
Oh just to add she’s also got what I think is either a cyst or tumour I noticed the same day I noticed her tilted head etc as she’s quite fluffy it hid well and I barely have to pick them up as they all just follow me around my house and go back into their cage off their own accord. Also she is 9 months old If age helps too. Thanks guys x

Last edited:
At 9 months it's most likely a severe case of inner ear infection. Head tilt, loss of balance are classic symptoms. Can you upload a video of her moving around, somewhere like YouTube and then copy/paste the link here?

Hi @lilspaz68 thank you so much for your reply! I’ve been having a look online and a lot of things I’ve just read said the same thing inner ear infection, which without sounding awful I’m relieved I genuinely thought she’d had a stroke or got a brain tumour. I’ve managed to get a lift first thing to the emergency vets for her to be seen as I just completely broke down on the phone to them! So I’m a lot more optimistic now. Yes I’ll try and get a video of her first thing and upload it. Thank you so much for your response again ❤️❤️X

Back