Updated: Successful first intros with Oleksii, Lynda, and Dolly

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SqueakingJellybean

Mission Control -- All is ratness
After confirming with the vet that he was good to go, we introduced everyone today. We had a Savic hut (one of the open-ended type) on the bed, along with a ball pit where they could shnuffle for treats, a "movie night" themed pull-apart paper toy, and a couple of their shared favourite toys. While they all took some time to find treats, mostly they paid attention to each other.

Oleksii and Lynda spent the most time together, with Oleksii chasing and sniffing Lynda, Lynda kicking him in the face before running a few steps and waiting for him to catch up (lather, rinse, repeat). They'd wrestle a bit, Oleksii would pin Lynda (he's about 1/3 again as big as she is), she'd wiggle free, and they'd continue the game.

Dolly is not quite sure of Oleksii yet. He was a bit overenthusiastic when they all first met up, and he cactused a little in his enthusiasm. He calmed down in my husband's hands relatively quickly-- it is hard to cactus when you are being held and petted by your favourite person-- but Dolly was still wary of The Boy Next Door. She would give these little trilling squeaks before running a foot or two away, then turning to watch what he did. Of the hour or so everyone was out, she spent maybe ten or fifteen minutes on my shoulders.

Nobody got in an actual fight. Nobody bled, nobody, flat-out rejected anyone else, and everyone seems to still want to see each other again. They all sort of agreed around the same time that naps would be excellent, so everyone was tucked back into their houses. It was a lot, but I think they had fun for the most part.

If everyone is amenable, we might give them all some more time together later tonight. Otherwise, they might just have unmixed out-time tonight, with another shared out-time tomorrow morning. There's no rush to move them all in together right away. They'll have as much time as they need to get comfortable with each other.

So-- almost a month later, everyone is getting on just fine. Slightly mashed, in Lynda's case, but she wasn't on the bottom of the pile for long. I really do need to see if they make bigger space pods.

Oleksii and Lynda have become quite close. Dolly gets along with him now, too, though they haven't connected to the same level. Oleksii has recently decided that the big fuzzy honeycomb hammock is his favourite thing in the world, tied only with the space pod.

Beans in a pod 2022 -- Oleksii Lynda Dolly.jpg

I've changed things around in their house, and now Lynda and Oleksii won't speak to me. Dolly, who I'd figured would be the one who most took issue with the changes, seems to be perfectly okay with the new setup.

They'll come around in a few days, I think. I'll make a few tweaks, see what works best.

Just give them some treats and some hugs and they will come around. I find it so sweet how you put many rats into a cage. It just gives them some more friends. I admire what you have done and taking the risk of introducing them to each other. Best of luck. ❤️❤️

Just give them some treats and some hugs and they will come around. I find it so sweet how you put many rats into a cage. It just gives them some more friends. I admire what you have done and taking the risk of introducing them to each other. Best of luck. ❤️❤️

Thanks?

There are still only three rats in there. I wasn’t introducing anyone new. It took time for them to adjust to the new setup, but they’re okay with it now.

Back