Updated Oct 27 - Hammock Tutorials - Bunk Bed and Tunnel

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kelsey514, thanks for the comments. I totally didn't specify that you actually want to start with 12 squares! 6 fleece and 6 cotton, thanks. Good question about step 7 as well, you always work with a piece of fleece and a piece of cotton. So step 7 is where you are attaching the bottom and stop of your square. I clarified those steps now. Lemmie know if you have any further questions :)

Rissa said:
Kelsey514, thanks for the comments. I totally didn't specify that you actually want to start with 12 squares! 6 fleece and 6 cotton, thanks. Good question about step 7 as well, you always work with a piece of fleece and a piece of cotton. So step 7 is where you are attaching the bottom and stop of your square. I clarified those steps now. Lemmie know if you have any further questions :)
I understood it A LOT more now! :D
Like how you got the hole so neat.. It´s double fabric :emb:

Oh yea, I get it now! Thanks Rissa, this is awesome. I never thought I could make something like this. The only thing I'm confused about now is how to make the loops. I'm almost done

* Ohh, point the loops downward and pin on what will be the outside of the box, right?

Yay! I have to admit, I sewed one wrong side together and had to undo it (step where it says fold over and repeat on other side), also didn't leave enough ribbon at the end and had to resew one of them...twice. Also didn't sew close enough to the corners and I was sure they'd poke their little noses through and start chewing away, so I redid all of those.

Madison says Thanks Rissa!

Hey, no matter what way I try to post pictures, it always makes them into thumbnails. What am I doing wrong?

That's so cute! I love that fabric.

The thing about the thumbnails might be (I'm not sure) that your photos are rather large, and they won't post anything over a certain size limit?

ruthlessbliss I love your cube too! I have a hammock with monkey and banana fleece :D
I think that might be it, with the size of the picture. Not really sure I want to go and resize all my pictures though lol

This is my very first hammock, and on a new sewing machine, so please be kind.. :oops:
Also made with crappy single-layer fabric in case I didn´t get it right..
490aa9b1.jpg

ruthlessbliss said:
MissGuardian said:
This is my very first hammock, and on a new sewing machine, so please be kind.. :oops:
Also made with crappy single-layer fabric in case I didn´t get it right..
490aa9b1.jpg
Hey! The colors match the rat in the background! :lol:
I guess it does :laugh4: :emb:
He was grumpy because I removed him from the old hammock to hang up the new one :lol:

I love everyone's hammocks. :) making tutorials is really gratifying when I see all the wonderful things people are making. And hearing how I inspired people rocks.

I´ve always wanted simple tutorials for hammocks.. What about multi level hammocks?
Also, what do you use to hang them up?(what is it called)

MissGuardian: I used every description I could think of in google search and could not find the "hammock hooks" I use. I tried shower curtain rings, round hooks etc, I even just typed in hooks and looked through 100 entries at homedepot.com!
Then I went to home depot and asked for them and the girl had no idea...til about 20 minutes later she looked down at her name tag and said, "Oh like these things?" and pointed at the exact thing I was looking for!
Anyway, they are called shower curtain pins and they're about $1.50 for a 12 pack. I've seen people on here use plastic baby links too which is really cute and colorful! They are $4.99 at Babies R Us for a pack of 24.

Now I see that you live in Norway, so I'm not sure if they'll be called the same thing there!

kelsey514 said:
MissGuardian: I used every description I could think of in google search and could not find the "hammock hooks" I use. I tried shower curtain rings, round hooks etc, I even just typed in hooks and looked through 100 entries at homedepot.com!
Then I went to home depot and asked for them and the girl had no idea...til about 20 minutes later she looked down at her name tag and said, "Oh like these things?" and pointed at the exact thing I was looking for!
Anyway, they are called shower curtain pins and they're about $1.50 for a 12 pack. I've seen people on here use plastic baby links too which is really cute and colorful! They are $4.99 at Babies R Us for a pack of 24.

Now I see that you live in Norway, so I'm not sure if they'll be called the same thing there!
They probably aren´t, since we speak Norwegian instead of English :wink:
Is that what you use to hang it up with, or the hooks you sew on(like on the cube.. it´s those I want to know what´s called or what are for :D )

Oh! They are just loops of ribbon from a craft store but you could probably use anything sturdy enough to hold the rats' weight.

lol I meant the english translation of the Norwegian name :giggle:

kelsey514 said:
Oh! They are just loops of ribbon from a craft store but you could probably use anything sturdy enough to hold the rats' weight.

lol I meant the english translation of the Norwegian name :giggle:
Thanks!
I´ll look into it tomorrow!

Excellent tutorials. I just got my sewing machine not too long ago and only made one hammock thus far (the one in the first post of this thread). I came back to do that one again...maybe I'm doing something wrong but it seems like the written instructions are gone?

This is sooo awesome, thanks so much :dance: I've never done any sewing before, but these tutorials rock. Going to have to gather up supplies soon so I can try it out.

Back