Unsatisfied Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LatteTheRat

So I just rescued my young female rat Caramel Latte Frappuccino aka Latte early december 2020 from being a feeder, and since we've gotten to know eachother better she ALWAYS wants to play! I have have a relatively busy life so I perfer to go to bed before 3:00 am, but that is the time that she keeps me awake. This is because at around 12:00 when I'm getting ready to go to bed (she is in my room) Latte wants to play. She is asleep for the majority of the daytime and I hate to wake her and if I do all she wants to do is sleep in my pockets. Then, when I'm going to sleep she is awake and will bite at the bars and act all crazy. So I tickle her and play with her for like 3o+ minutes sometimes an hour. But after our long play session she wants more but I'm exhausted so I have no choice but to ignore her. But then she will bite the bars and reach through the bars of her cage and grab at my drapes and try to chew them! Not only is this the most annoying sound, but also bad for my drapes. She has plenty of toys and a million chew toys, but she doesn't use them at this time, instead she just wants to chew what she can't have.
I give her everything I can, but I can't have another rat. If enough people want to know why, I will tell y'all but it's kind of a long story.
If anyone knows how to correct this behavior, please comment why because this is getting really old.

Only thing that would stop this behavior is you getting another rat, or becoming one yourself .
It is extremely cruel to have a single rat and honestly if you can not possibly get another rat, I would strongly suggest the most humane option of rehoming her to someone who can get her the companionship she obviously is craving.
Or you would have to quite your job, get a part time night job and give her at least 6 hours of out of cage interaction each day.
The fact that you can't spend more than an hour is less than optimal for even two rats.
Sorry.
It's great you saved her from being food and I'm glad you have the toys and such but unfortunately rats are VERY high maintenance pets. And need LOTS of attention and company.

I cannot have another rat. I am aware that having only one rat is not the best, but there's nothing I can do about it under my circumstances. Also, when I saved her I asked the guy if anyone else got these feeders as pets before and he said only 1 other person had. Where I live, everyone is wealthy and most people hate rats and see them as pests which is very very annoying. There are no rat breeders within 1 hour and 30 minutes from me, and our local Petco and Petsmart don't even sell rats. Anyway, I actually just figured out the problem and solved it! I moved her cage to the other side of the room and hung 2 of her chew toys outside the cage and actually right now she is chewing on them:D
I am trying to figure out a way to get her a ratty companion, maybe in a few months. She's still only a month old so we have some time to get all this sorted out.

Having another rat is not much more than having one though, the cleaning isn't more its the same maybe they will eat 20grams of food more per day per rat but trust me two isn't much bigger than 1, they will be happier. If the noise bothers you, maybe put the cage out of your bedroom. Check on kijiji or Craigslist maybe you can find another Rat of the same sex

I know it's not much more work and double the joy but I'm not allowed to have another rat for a while at least. I'll definately post it on here when I do though!

Back