Underweight mama?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodentist

Three days before my big squish Trajan passed, I was picking up some treats for my boys at a pet store that only get rats via special order. I always look anyway. I saw a tiny rattie face sticking out of a wooden rat shack. When I asked one of the kids there, they said that someone ordered a female, didn't come get her, and five days later....five more ratties. They were too young to sell.

The day that Trajan left....I drove to that pet store and snatched two of those boys, before I started thinking clearly. I figured it would take two boys to replace big Trajan (1080 grams!). The things we can rationalize, right? That was about two weeks ago. I figure they might have been four weeks, since their testicles hadn't even dropped yet.

That was a week and a half ago. Today I went in to get treats and I noticed that they had been marked down to 1.99. All that was left was mama and one boy.

So, I sat there and rationalized. I have 7....do I need two more? But they have now been reduced to low, low snake food prices. Or a truly disposable pet.

I grabbed mama and baby and took them home. The resident babies were THRILLED to have mama back, and their brother. They still tried to nurse!

When I weighed her, she was 215 grams. She is very small. They were feeding her what appeared to be a hamster seed mix.

So my question is...should I be worried about her? Do you think she will beef up on 2018 Harlan Tekland blocks and fresh fruits and veggies? Is she permanently stunted? The boys I have had for 10 days are 20 g heavier than their brother.

How long can I keep her in with her boys? She is just too skinny for the ferret nation. I have noticed that the 300 gram mark is the Can't Squeeze Out size.

I called the pet store to ask how old they were and got "maybe 6 weeks". I think more like five. Their testicles dropped a few days ago. They show absolutely no interesting in humping her, just a lot of joy about seeing her, again. Lots of wrestling and grooming going on.

When I asked how old the mama was they said 8 or 9 months. This confirmed my suspicion that they know nothing about rats.

I feel guilty about get rats from a pet store. But...but....I couldn't help myself.

Thanks!

BTW....their names are: Cassandra, Ajax, Hector, and Nestor

Testicles usually descend around 3 weeks of age. Boys can stay with mom safely until about 5 weeks, maybe 5.5 weeks.
I'd give mom so extra foods like eggs, baby cereal with olive oil.
Is she allowing the rats to nurse? If so then they might be under 4 weeks but if not, they are older and you might want to separate her asap.

It really is hard to walk away from rats in need in a horrid pet store.
I'm so sorry you lost your big guy, but what a wonderful new group of ratties to keep your heart filled. :D

As you can see, the little guys are almost as big as she is!

l_2d46e05b1d65b8fbbaeae8aed36a0e72.jpg

l_53d9f10b3859da2fd350300ed33d1512.jpg

Hmmm...when they try to nurse she seems VERY annoyed and kicks them in the face. She also seems to be trying to dig her way out of her current living quarters.

Out she goes, I guess! Thing is...until she packs on an ounce or two she is going to be by herself in a small cage, I think of as the "hospital cage. I will park it next to her boys, but 4 inches away.

Thanks!

She is in the little cage now....I set up a rattie Old Country Buffet for her, too. It has organic peas, corn, soybeans, butternut squash, pasta, snap pea crisps, 2018 blocks, Ensure, yogies, and walnuts. Evian in the water bottle.

Its the best I can do until I go to the grocery store.

Get fat, little girl!!!

With proper diet and care she will finally start growing a little but may stay smaller from having a litter so young and putting all that energy into her pregnancy rather than growing.They are really adorable. I guess it'll be good if they all stay small then it will be easier to rationalize 4 ratties replacing your big guy. :lol: ;)

Back