Uh oh and exciting

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started keeping rats in Nov 2018 with 3 pew girls. In Dec i adopted 3 more girls. The first week of Feb i added 3 boys who were born on Jan 1st. On Aug 20th i then added 4 girls who were between 5 and 6 weeks old. And now becomes the "Uh oh and exciting" part. The girl i got these new girls from obviously did not seperate the boys and girls soon enough. First litter was on Aug 31 second litter was on Sept 4th. I am now a new "rat granddaddy" to around 25 kits. My rat family went from 13 to about 38 in 3 days lol. Not what i expected but it will be exciting watching the babies grow. I now need to build 2 more cages, yes i build my own cages, to seperate the boys and girls around 5 weeks. I will try to sell most but will keep a few. Fortunately i have the room and time to take care of, give attention to and play with all my rats.

Wow! You've got your hands full for sure. That happened to us once a long time ago. We rescued 2 males and 3 females. The lady had lied to us and the females were indeed pregnant. We had so many rats! but we kept them all and made the best of it.
I no longer have rats but I started having them back in January of 2002. I rescued rats for over 15 years and then decided to take a break 2 years ago. I miss them terribly. In all, my family and I have rescued and cared for over 300 rats. We've had our fair share of issues. I think I've seen just about everything. lol probably not but it sure feels like it. I kept my vet clinic very busy.

Back